Thirty One

Chapter Thirty One:

"Did you fall out the window again?"

Malcolm glanced at her, waving goodbye to Gil as his car sped down the street.

"Maybe."

She looked up at the large window, half of it boarded up. The door swung open and he disappeared inside, she scrambled after him. They were half way up the stairs when heels clicking against the hardwood echoed, he rolled his eyes and gave her a look. Theodora snorted, following him up the rest of the way.

"Mother!" He exclaimed with a sigh, looking up at the ceiling. "Why am I not surprised?"

Theodora went to step beside him, but he put a hand out and stopped her just before the threshold, hiding her.

"Why did you go back? You knew what seeing your father again would do to you, you had to know... you're not sleeping—"

"I have work to do." He replied, no emotion in his voice.

His mother sighed, "Your father has agreed to remove you from his visitor list."

Malcolm looked at her then, "What? What did you do?"

"Anything to keep my son safe. And sane. Ish."

Theodora rolled her eyes, scoffing quietly.

"You went to see him." He turned, probably facing her. Theodora wanted to peek out, but she'd probably be seen. If anything, his mother probably heard two sets of footsteps come up the stairs.

Jessica sighed, "He looked annoyingly good. Heaven forbid prison be an uncomfortable experience for him." She walked over to the kitchen, Theodora was in full sight now but the women focused on a half filled glass on the counter.

"You went to see him. You swore you would never go back, and for twenty years you kept that promise. Until now." Malcolm approached her, "Why? Why are you so hell bent on keeping me from him?"

"Look in the mirror. You are falling apart with each visit."

"I need those visits. For my work."

"He needs them more."

Malcolm nodded, "You're right, and he wouldn't give them up without a price. What was it?"

"Why are you interrogating me?" Jessica glared.

"Because there's something you don't want me to know."

"You kept your visits from me, Malcolm." She said, "At least I told you the truth."

"Those visits are nothing."

She rolled her eyes, "The more you insist they are nothing the more I believe they're not. You need support, my son—"

"I have Theo."

Jessica snickered, "That girl does nothing for you. She's been coming along with you to see your father, I thought she was supposed to be helping you, not throwing you to the fire."

"She does help me, mother. She always has."

"What the hell do you see in her?"

Theodora coughed, stepping forward, "It is just ever so lovely to be in your presence again, Mrs Whitly. You look wonderful this evening."

The women jumped, "I didn't see you there, Theodora."

"Clearly not. Your young looks hide your aging eyesight and personality."

Malcolm snorted, "I would never tell you. You'd use it against me, mother. We both know that."

Jessica pursed her lips, opening her mouth to say something else but Malcolm got to it first, expression falling. "What do you know about the murders?"