Chapter 37

Kora

Kora

I checked my wrist watch, and then my phone for the umpteenth time. Where was she? It had been over twenty minutes since Grace had asked me to hurry to hall fifteen, in the south-east wing of the central building. We had an emergency class we only knew about that morning. She had promised to be waiting for me right outside the hallway, but I wasn't seeing her anywhere, and the worst part was, she wasn't taking her calls either.

Now I was stuck right in front of the hall, without knowing if it was okay to just walk in. The last thing I needed was the attention of anyone, the moment I walked in. It'd have been way better to go with someone. Grace for example. I looked around hoping I wasn't the only late comer around. I was. There was not a single soul in sight.

I couldn't believe I had spent the whole morning sleeping, and had forgotten about my classes. Who would have blamed me, when I had spent the entire night before, crying? I could feel my eyes were swollen. I also remember telling Grace not to bother waking me up for any of our classes, but since this one was going to end with a test, there was no way I was going to sit it out.

Okay, that was it. Grace or not, I was done waiting out there. For all I knew, Grace could have probably grown tired of waiting, and gone in herself, considering the fact that she wasn't picking her calls. I took a deep breath, all I had to do was walk into the classroom, as fast and silent as I could, and sit behind the class, and when no one was watching, when the time was right, I could easily blend in.

I must have looked so horrible. I didn't even get the chance to look myself in the mirror before I rushed out of my room. I could feel my belly rumble again. I was hungry too.

I slowly held on to the door knob, and then opened it as silently as I could, I took a step inside, puffing air into my cheeks. I closed the door slowly right after me, and turned to walk in.

There was a sound coming from the center of the room, more like music. It sounded like someone was playing the violin. I looked around the hall. It was completely empty. No students, no lecturer. It was just me and him. I didn't think I was in the right room at all.

I squinted my eyes, so I could have a better look at whoever it was. I held my breath when I saw his face clearly. It was him. The guy from before, Jeremiah. He was playing a song I had heard before. It was a song from the movie, Titanic, My heart would go on. It was one of my favorite songs, and he was playing it so beautifully.

I had never heard a violin version of that song being played excellently well before. It made me take further steps into the room. Steps I had not expected, or known I was even taking. I was so caught up in the moment, and the smile on my face, it was really bright. Somehow, my mood was lightening up. I didn't feel so sad and empty anymore. For the first few seconds, it was like I was completely lost in the moment, and he was too, seeing that he hadn't even noticed he had company.