Chapter Four: Everywhere - Park

Niall's POV

I've been away on a work trip for a week and because of time zones, I haven't been able to chat properly with Lucy. Perfect timing too, right after I told her I love her and she didn't say it back. I hate how the Universe works sometimes. We have been sending each other messages but with very late replies, the conversation easily fades away. My nights are her days, and her days are my nights. I hated it. I miss her.

But I'm back now, and I'm going to see her before I do anything else. I'm jet-lagged, sleepy, exhausted, but she comes first for now. I can sleep later. I've been trying to call her to let her know that I'm back but she hasn't been answering her phone or reading my texts and I'm worried.

I hurry to her place and knock on the door. Jamie opens the door shortly.

'Niall! Thank god!' He says pushing me inside the flat. 'She's not okay.'

'What's wrong?'

'Just go see her. She doesn't want to get out of bed. She's watching some series on her laptop. She's not even talking to me.'

'Shit. Is she eating well at least?'

'Bare minimum. Nothing to worry about yet.'

'Alright, I'll go talk to her. But one question. Is it because of me? Because I wasn't here?'

'Don't take it personally Niall. She does this to herself. She was distracted when she was with you. I was hoping that would be enough. But deep down the depression was still there.'

'I'm sorry...'

'Yeah, I'm sorry too...'

I look down at the ground thinking about everything going on, trying to think of what to tell her, how I could help her.

I walk carefully toward her bedroom. At first, I stand at the door without knocking or saying anything. She's lifelessly and mindlessly watching her laptop screen. She's not smiling, laughing or reacting to anything going on on the screen. My heart breaks at this sight. It reminds me of May's last few days. And my selfish and self-centred self thought that she was just mad at me even though I didn't do anything to upset her and thought that she'll come around eventually.

I fight back the tears and knock as lightly as possible on her wooden door frame. He eyes looked up from the screen onto me, and I swear within a second they lit up. A sad smile pushes through. But she doesn't move.

'Hello darling...' I sigh.

'Hi, Niall!' She croaks, hinting that she'd been crying for too long.

I carefully walk towards the bed then sit close to her on the edge of the bed. I don't say anything I just hold her in my arms. When I notice her shaky breath and feel some drops landing on my shoulder, I get that she's crying. I caress her back softly.

'Shh... It's okay. I'm here now. Everything will be okay. I promise.'

Once she's calmed down, I pull her away from me, but only to put my hands on her cheeks. I smile at her and she smiles back.