Recovery

My eyes fluttered open and I took in my surroundings. I was home. You know when you have stared at one thing for so long that you just instantly know when you come across it again? It was like that. That one patch of off-tone white on my ceiling told me everything I needed to know. I sat up, my head groggy and clouded by a layer of dust and placed my head in my hands, sighing. After a few seconds, I noticed how strangely bright it is outside and reach over wearily to pick up my phone from where I'd previously spotted it on my bedside table. The screen blared and my eyes began to sting. I closed them and opened them again, hearing an unusual silence echo through the house.

12:15

Damn, I slept through half of the day. I glanced down onto the screen where I saw just above two dozen notifications from various chats. A few are from school group chats- it's probably just a get well soon or whatever- I ignore those. A few are from Brie, May and Taylor. And one is from Kye. Trying to delay looking at Kye's message, I clicked onto the group chat between Me, Brie and May:

May: Hey! Hope you're doing okay, make sure to rest today, I'm really sorry about Kye but things will get better I promise, Love you! x

Brie: yea what she said and um... can you help me with the science homework when you're free?

I chuckled at Brie's attempt at normality to make me feel a little better and sent back a quick 'Thanks guys, love you too x' Before hovering my finger over Kye's message. Part of me just wanted to ignore it and pretend it didn't happen but the other part knew that Kye would be hurt if I didn't read it and that was the one thing which I never wanted.

Hey... I hope you're okay. Taylor told me what May told him about what happened. I just can't stop thinking it was my fault and I'm so sorry. I never meant to hurt you...

He was so sweet. When did I ever deserve him? I took a breath and typed back slowly,

I'm fine. Just taking the day off- or it seems like it... I won't lie to you Kye, maybe what happened played a little part in it but, I'm sure there are bigger reasons. Thank you for checking up on me.

It's... formal. I hated it. I did. I just didn't know how else to put it. I wished we could've put all of this behind us and just be friends again but I knew that could never happen- at least not that fast. Then, suddenly another message popped up. Thalia.

I heard what happened. I'm sorry I wasn't in. Hope you are okay xx

Simple. Bitter. I quickly brought up the conversation and typed my answer. It took about 10 minutes of deleting and re-typing:

Dw... I'm okay, I'm not 100% sure what it was but I'm fine for now. I'm sorry about Sunday- I was an idiot...

It took her a couple of seconds to respond:

It's okay. I was too... You only wanted to help...

A bit happier than I was before this conversation, I typed back,

So, you at home today as well?

Yeah, mum's ill so I'm looking after her... Hey, dad just got back, did you want to meet up somewhere?

I smiled at the thought then realise my issue:

I'm still kind of in bed... I don't know if I can come out... But, you could come here?

Send me the address.

I texted her the address and placed my phone back onto my bedside table. I couldn't help but smile at the thought of seeing her after so long. Well not that long... The hole in my heart now had a couple of stitches in it. Not enough to sew it back together- but just enough to keep me alive.

Kye's POV

What the hell did I do? I broke up with Mel. The most amazing, beautiful girl I've ever met, and I broke up with her. And now she's at home recovering from a panic attack which was most likely my fault. I'm an idiot. My phone buzzes in my pocket. Mel. It's got to be, she's the only one who would text me at this time. Lunch is only in fifteen minutes. I glance up at where Mrs Clifford is annotating some text on the board and then over to where Taylor is fiddling anxiously with an elastic band. That's what we've all been like after the incident; jumpy and distant. Under the desk, I pull out my phone and read the newest message.

I'm fine. Just taking the day off- or it seems like it... I won't lie to you Kye, maybe what happened played a little part in it but, I'm sure there are bigger reasons. Thank you for checking up on me.

It's so formal that I could hate it if Melody hadn't written it. I knew it- it was my fault. I mean, it makes me feel a little better than it wasn't all me. However, it does make me wonder what's been going on in her life right now. I'd hate to think I haven't been there for her through whatever she's going through. Maybe her sister's sick or something, she loves her more than anyone else. It makes me nauseous, knowing there are things I don't know about going on in her life.

Maybe I'd stop by her house on the way home. Say hello to Miss Parker and give Ali a quick hug... Just check if she's okay... Maybe not. Maybe she won't be happy to see me. I'm so lost in thought that I don't see Mrs Clifford waltz over to me slowly, peering over my shoulder. She holds out her hand as I raise my gaze.

"Hand it over Mr Underwood."

I handed over the phone sheepishly before sharing a knowing glance with Taylor. He knew how much I cared about her; apparently more than she did. The whole situation proved to be but a warzone in my mind. I couldn't be angry at her because... who can? But, I couldn't help wondering what she thought would happen... Did she think that although she wasn't falling in love with me that she eventually would? Because if I've learnt one thing about love, it's that it never comes with time. You get thrown in- straight into the deep end, struggling and gasping for air until you learn how to swim. And even then, you have no control over it, even though it feels as if you do. That's the reality of it all: If the tide changes then you must change with it.

A/N

I hoped you liked that different POV... I wanted to give the story a kind of... fresh perspective. Thank you for reading and enjoy your day!

Edited