Just in Case

We're back!

I hope you're all doing well.

The next two weeks are going to be very busy for me with the end of the semester and finals, but I will endeavor to update as frequently as I can!

Enjoy!

✮     ✮     ✮

Enid sipped on her mug of hot chocolate, holding a book with her other hand.

She was in one of the large sitting rooms, tucked into an armchair by a fireplace.

Dante was stretched out on the couch to her right, fast asleep with his abandoned book folded across his chest.

Soft snores filled the room and she smiled.

Alexander smirked at her from the armchair across from his, pantomiming a hammer-jack motion in time with Dante's snores.

She hid a giggle behind her mug, shaking her head at him in amused disapproval.

The door opened and Theodore stepped into the room, rolling his eyes as he took in the sleeping mass on the couch.

His obsidian eyes met hers and he winked at her before the book from Dante's chest and smacking him in the head with it.

"Enid?" Dante sat up quickly, his eyes darting around in confusion.

His voice was deep and thick with sleep.

"No, that was me, you otiose sloth." Theodore smirked as the man whirled around to look at him.

"You could have woken me up nicely." He grumbled, rubbing his eyes.

"What's the fun in that?" Alexander chuckled, clapping Theodore on the back as he walked past.

Theodore's lips quirked up into a half-smile as he approached her.

With a soft tug, he pulled her up from her seat and stole her spot.

His hands spanned across her hips as Theodore pulled her down onto his lap.

Enid poked him in the chest with an exaggerated look of offense.

"Excuse me sir, you could've asked." She admonished him, unable to stop the smile that was creeping across her face.

He merely shrugged, brushing his nose against hers with affection.

"I just thought you might find my lap more... comfortable." His voice was low in her ear and she flushed.

"I believe we have something to discuss with Enid." Alexander gave Theodore a pointed look.

She glanced at each of them in curiosity.

Any last remaining grips of sleep left Dante's forest eyes.

He cleared his throat, running a hand through his messy brown hair.

"We'd like to start training you in self-defense, little bird. A certain... threat has entered our radar. We'll do everything in our power to keep you safe ourselves, but I think we'd all feel a little less worried if we taught you some basics." Dante explained, lacing his fingers together between his knees.

Enid's eyebrows furrowed.

"What threat?" She shifted slightly to look up at Theodore when the other two kept their mouths sealed.

His mask was in place as he stared down at her, a slight shadow of stubble covering his jaw.

The grip on her hips tightened before he sighed shortly.