6

CHAPTER 6

VANESSA

Blake fricken Willis asked me on a date. Any normal girl would be freaking out, but that was the problem with me. I wasn't a normal girl.

I had a story that I didn't want told, and I had secrets that I needed to remain hidden. I didn't want anyone to find out about them, especially not Blake.

I knew he'd think different of me. I wasn't rich like him, I wasn't in the same league as him at all.

My father was an alcoholic who beat me whatever chance he got, he hated me, and he blamed for me my mother leaving and not coming back. She left when I was a baby and I haven't seen her since. I didn't even know what she looked like. My father always said it was my fault, that she didn't want me because I was ugly and a disgrace to them. He said the only reason he's kept me around is because he gets money for me.

My grandparents left me some money after they died, but because I was a minor at the time my dad had control of it. He spent it all on his nightly visits to the bar, or the occasional female company he would pay for.

I never understood why anyone would treat their own flesh and blood the way he treated me. I always stayed holed up in my room until he left for the bar. I'd sneak downstairs and steal some food out of he cupboards that I knew he wouldn't miss and dash back up to my room.

The last time though he came home early. He caught me on the counter and dragged me off by my ankles. I smacked my chin on the cabinet and hit my elbow on the counter before I banged my head on the floor. I vaguely remember my vision becoming spotty and my father hovering over me with an empty bottle of beer in his hand.

He was screaming at me and smacking me in the face over and over. After that, I had learned to be even more careful than I was the before. I never knew when he would come home, or if he ever would, let alone know what star he would be in.

Some days were worse than others, I would have to hide behind my hoodie because of the black eye I was sporting. Other times I couldn't eat because my stomach ached from where he kicked me. Still other times I was able to make it through the day with a smile on my face. I never knew how many people could see through the mask I always wore though. My smiles never reached my eyes and they were never genuine. How many people could actually see that?

My hands shook as I gripped the doorknob to my front door. I knew my father was going to be pissed at me because I came home late. I tried calling but his phone was disconnected.

I quietly slip in to the foyer and slide out of my shoes, before turning on my heel and quickly tackling the steps. I flinched as a step beneath my foot creaked. Releasing a deep breath, I continue my trek to my bedroom.

My body froze when I caught sight of my father standing outside my bedroom door. He glares at me and I knew he had already took his nightly trip down to the bar.

"Where the hell have you been bitch!?" He shouts at me, causing me to flinch yet again.

"I-I'm Sorry. I was helping a friend study and I lost track of time"

"Lost track of time?" He scoffs. "What did you expect me to do for food while you were out partying?" He spits

"I left some spaghetti in the microwave for you before I went to Gina's"

"Yeah you did. And it was fucking cold! I can't eat cold food!"

"I-I'm Sorry, d-do you want me to make you something else?"

He scoffs at me in reply and waves his hand in front of my face.

"No need, I ordered pizza. But you're grounded. I hope you ate while you were out, because you will not leave this room until you go to school in the morning" he snaps as he takes another chug of his beer.

"What didn't you call and tell me you were gonna he late?" He snarls

"I tried but it didn't go through. I-I don't know if your phone doesn't have minutes or if it was off but I swear I tried." I stutter

He levels his steely gaze at me and brushes past me, stalking down the stairs and towards the living room without a reply.

At least he didn't hit me.

I let out another breath I didn't know I was holding before stepping over the threshold and into my bedroom.

My heart sunk when I saw what he did. He trashed my room. My clothes were thrown all over the place, pages were torn out of my books. Tears sprung to my eyes as I slouch against my door.

I didn't have it in me to clean this up right now, but I knew that it needed to be done before he came back to get me.

I take off my jacket and lay it over my desk chair before removing my backpack and setting it down. I get started cleaning my room when my phone pings with a text.

Blakey: Thx so much for the help! Imma nail this test! >3 ;)

A smile made its way onto my face as I read the words on my screen.

You better Blakey.... I'm counting on you! :-)

Blakey: I won't let you down Van!

Blakey: Listen can I call you?

I don't think that's a good idea right now...

I didn't want to turn him down, but I needed to clean and I knew he would distract me.

Blakey: I just wanted to hear ur voice. I miss you....

A chuckle escapes my lip.

Laying it on a little thick huh Blakey?

Blakey: ur hard not to miss. It's like crazy how much I think of u. I want to talk to u all the time.

Blakey: is that weird?

Another smile. Damn him.

Not at all :) it's actually really sweet. But you don't know me Blake.

Blakey: I know enough. I know all I need to know to get attached to you

Why did he have to be such a nice guy? I wanted to hate him, I didn't want to be like all the other girls in school. I didn't want to fawn over a guy that was out of me league. I never stood a chance with Blake. It was against the rules.

But distraction and rules be damned.

Yes..

Blakey: ????

You can call me

He doesn't wait. His name flashes across my screen right after I send the text. I don't hesitate to hit the answer button as I plop down on my bed.

"Hey Blakey." I chirp into the phone.

I hear him release a breath on the other end before his deep voice rumbles through the line.

"Hi Van"

I knew from the moment we met on the bus that he was going to change me, he was going to change everything I had ever known. That was what I looked forward to the most, the change. I needed it, I craved it, and I welcomed it with open arms.

I may not stand a chance with him, but I know he can distract me from everything going on. He can make me forget about my dad, about Tristan, everything.

I just didn't know I needed it until I met him.