7

CHAPTER 7

BLAKE

I wasn't sure how long we had talked on the phone. But next thing I knew my alarm was blaring and my phone was at ten percent.

I curse to myself and slip out of bed before grabbing my charger and throwing on the nearest shirt. I grab a pair of socks from my drawer and slip them on my feet before rushing down the stairs and into the kitchen.

My dad was seated at the table with a cup of coffee in one hand and his phone in the other. I knew he was working again today because he was already dressed in his crisp black suit and pearl white shirt. He paired it with one of the thousands of ties Sandy had given him and his hair was brushed back.

Nothing was out of place.

"Working again today?" I grumble to him as I take a seat at the table and Peggy places a plate of eggs and toast in front of me.

"What are your plans today Blake?" Sandy asks as she comes around the corner, planting a kiss on dads cheek.

I shrug through my mouth full of food. "Thought about going car shopping"

Sandy nods and I notice my dads jaw tense.

"Is there a problem?" I ask my dad.

He huffs and pockets his phone before crossing his hands in front of him.

"Don't think about asking for money. You're old enough to get your own job."

"Lee!" Sandy snaps at him.

I open my mouth to speak and tell him off but before I get the chance his phone rings. He stands and wipes his hands on his slacks before turning on his business voice and answering.

"This is Lee"

I roll my eyes and stand from my seat, sliding my arms through the sleeves of my jacket.

"You're not going to eat?" Sandy asks me as I grab my wallet.

"Lost my appetite" I spit before slamming the front door shut.

It never fails with him. Work has always been his priority. Over the years I've had to learn that the hard way. By now I don't expect any different.

Once I reach the park I dig in my pockets and curse to myself when I realize my headphones aren't there.

I glance around the park as my stomach starts to growl, it's too early in the morning for the food trucks to be open yet but the quaint little diner on the corner was open.

The red blinking neon sigh welcomed me as I entered the run down building. This place has been around forever, but I haven't been here since before mom died.

"Hi! Welcome!" A graying lady dressed in a polo shirt and jeans chirps as I enter.

I smile at her and take a seat at the wooden countertop.

"My name is Nina, what can I get cha?"

I glance at the chalkboard menu behind her and my eyes instantly land on my moms favorite food.

"I'll take the western omelet with a side of fruit and a strawberry milkshake"

Nina smiles at me and writes my order down on a piece of paper before ringing a bell and placing it on a rack.

She returns shortly after with my milkshake that was topped with whipped cream and fresh strawberries. Nina had stuck a red and white striped straw in the cup before she gave it to me.

I take a sip and the cold creamy shake makes my lips freeze but it was worth it. This was the best damn strawberry shake I've ever had.

"Blake?"