15

CHAPTER 15

BLAKE

My eyes flutter open as I hear familiar voices whispering to the left of me. Wyatt and Brynn were standing next to the hospital bed smiling at me.

"What?" I ask when I'm fully awake.

Brynn squeals and grips Wyatt's arm. "I told you they'd end up together"

Wyatt rolls his eyes playfully and wraps an arm around Brynn's waist.

I glance next to me in the small hospital bed and see Van still asleep. A small smile makes its way onto my face, as I tighten my grip on her.

"What are you guys doing here?"

"We had an appointment upstairs for the baby, and we thought we'd stop in and see you, but we didn't mean to interrupt" Wyatt says with a chuckle.

I glare at him "If I had use of my arm I'd punch you"

"I know" he states with a laugh.

I shake my head at his antics and shift my position in the bed to give Van more room.

"How's the baby?" I ask them

Brynn places a hand on her protruding belly and smiles at her boyfriend. "It's great, the doctor said it looked healthy and we got to hear it's heartbeat for the first time. It was beautiful Blake."

Tears spring to her eyes, which she hastily wipes away.

"Do you know the gender yet?"

"We want to be surprised." Wyatt answers as he approaches the bed with a small picture.

He hands the image to me and I can see the partially formed baby in front of me.

"Wow"

I stare at the image for a few minutes before handing it back to Wyatt. "Congrats again you two."

Brynn smiles at me and Wyatt grabs her hand.

"We'll let you get some rest, I'll stop by later with your homework from class"

I groan and lay my head on the pillows.

"Seriously?"

Wyatt just shrugs.

"Even heroes need to go to school Blake"  he says with another chuckle before they say their goodbyes and leave.

Van shifts closer to me and nuzzles her face into my shoulder, I knew she was still asleep from the soft sigh that left her plump lips.

I turn my attention to her face and can finally see her without the worry and the anxiety she's shown since I met her. She was at peace.

And I wanted to be the reason.

A sharp knock at the door breaks my Van filled trance, and after a few seconds my dad walks in the room. He glanced at Van lying next to me and just briefly I saw my dad, not Lee Willis.

He was thinking about mom.

But just as quick as it came, it was gone and his scowl was set firmly back in place.

"Sandy is pulling up the car. Your doctor said you were able to come home today."

"Okay" is all I reply.

I expected him to leave, but he just stood there watching me, and every so often Van.

"Blake, are you sure you're making the right decision?"

That caught my attention. I knew he wouldn't understand, but there was something about Van that was irresistible. I didn't know how to make him see her the way I do.

I glance down at the sleeping beauty in my arms before turning my attention back to my father.

"I don't know dad. The only thing I know for certain, is that I haven't felt this way about anyone before."

He stares at me for a long minute before turning his attention to the now ringing phone in his hand.

"I trust you Blake. Just be careful, people aren't always honest about their intentions." He states before adopting his usual business voice and answering his phone.

I roll my eyes as he stalks out of the room. My phone chimes with a message and Van grumbles beside me before waking up and rubbing her eyes.

"Good morning" I tell her with a smile as I put my phone on the table.

"Morning Blakey" she replies with a blush as she sits up and glances around the room.

"Doc says I can go home today" I tell her as I link our fingers together.

"Does that mean you're okay?" She asks with hope in her voice.

I nod my head at her. Her face lights up, but then drops just as quickly.

I squeeze her hand and turn- despite the agonizing pain in my side, so my body was facing her.

"Hey what's wrong?"

She looks down to her lap, and then back up to me before letting out a breath.

"I'm glad you're going home, I really truly am, but I don't know where I'm going to go now. Since it happened I've been at the hospital, and even though my dad got arrested, I don't want to go home"

Her eyes get red and I knew she was holding back tears.

"I have a solution" I tell her.

"You do?"

"You can come live with me. I have plenty of extra bedrooms you can pick from" I tell her honestly.

As soon as the words leave my mouth her eyes become wide as saucers.

"No Blake I can't."

"Well why not?"

She gives me an incredulous look.

"Well for one thing your dad hates me. I wouldn't want him to despise me. And besides, you need to rest and recuperate. I can't impose on you like that"

I let out a scoff. "Please, my dad is never home so that's not an issue. And I can't recover properly or quickly if I don't know that you're safe."

"Blake-"

"If it helps you decide at all, you can take care of me. That way you know I'm recovering."

She glances at me again and I knew she was fighting it. But I could see she wanted too. She didn't want to be alone, and I didn't blame her.

"I'll kidnap you if you don't agree to it" I add to lighten the mood.

She shakes her head with a chuckle and smiles at me.

"Okay"