Chapter Sixteen

We were ushered into a sitting room, a gorgeous one at that. A light brown, patterned tile for the flooring and pale gold lounges with blue accents. An ancient chandelier holding the most priceless gems and hanging from a white and blue stained window in the ceiling. The walls were white, textured with gold and a grand piano sat in the corner.

The warmth hit me first, in small waves, enough to take away the edge of frost on my clothes but not too much to overwhelm me.

Margaret sat me down almost immediately, urging Maddox to sit beside me. Zina and Elliot sat with us, while Dakota, Cassius, Peyton and Callie sat on the other lounge that was directly opposite to us. Magaret and Charles, however, sat on a two-seater to our right. The children had been led off to the room directly next to us, letting themselves to be entertained without having to listen to the adults talk.

"So Elora! I hope you've been adjusting well to life at the palace!" Magaret stated enthusiastically, trying to make conversation.

I put on a small smile, "It's been... a long progress. But I'm getting there."

She smiled at my words, flashing her teeth. I felt my heart speed up until I took a closer look, no canines. Her teeth were pointy and longer than a normal human, which told me that she did have the wolfish teeth. But it also showed that she had concealed them.

I slid my hand down to Maddox's, squeezing it in a sign of thanks before letting go.

"And how long has it been since Maddox first met you?" Charles asked, his voice a lot quieter than his mates.

I racked my head, "Um, maybe a little over two months?" 

Margaret let out a small gasp, "And it's taken Maddox this long to introduce you to us? Maddox promised that when he found his mate, we would meet her within at least the first two weeks..."

"Elora has been healing Mother, the time hasn't been right until now," Maddox interrupted, his jaw clenched.

Margaret blushed slightly in embarrassment, "Of course, I completely forgot the, um, predicament of you two meeting,"

Everything suddenly felt very awkward, that is, until Charles started speaking once more, "Elora, Maddox mentioned you have two brothers?"

I nodded, "Elijah and Isaiah are twins, only a few years older than me. They worked in the mines."

"And your parents?" Charles added, the tension rising at his question.

I smiled slightly to ease the awkwardness, "They died quite a while ago,"

"Oh, I'm so sorry we asked, and I know we can never replace them truly, but Charles and I, Maddox, Zina, Callie, Peyton, Dakota, Cassius and Elliot, and of course the pups. We'll be your new family." Margaret assured me, and empathetic look on her face.

I knew that they could never replace my own true parents, but so did they. They must have noticed the look on my face, so the conversation shifted. I leaned back into the chair, letting the soft cushioning surround me and letting my own mind wander far away from this little room. I found myself back at home, I tried to imagine everything as it would be should I had never been found by Maddox. At home with my brothers, stitching their clothes and discussing our days. But the thought alone seemed to make me feel worse.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maddox and I had been put into two separate rooms for our stay here at the estate. Reasons being so that I could dress privately, and most likely because they thought Maddo and I were a lot closer than we actually are, and simply didn't want any of that going on under their roof.