Ch-4 The Playboy's Attempts

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

'Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet and Master Muhammad (s.a.s), all his blessed descendents and noble companions.'

- Aameen.

Chapter Four

The Playboy's Attempts

London, U.K.

"Oh I don't know Soph, kinda busy now but when I last checked there were several friend requests...most of them from completely unknown women! Would you believe it!" Sophia's lips twitched as she heard her best friend's voice snort in disgust.

"I think I shouldn't have set his former photo as the profile pic. But he's sorta changed now, older too and how could our relatives recognize him then?" Maryam mused unhappily. "So, I used one his earlier photos as the display. But this is bringing up unnecessary problems with random women asking his age or whether he's still that handsome, and it made me so furious...!"

"Reply them sweetheart. Tell he is, very sexy... especially now." Sophia interjected, grinning widely though her friend couldn't see her.

There was a moment's stillness before the daughter's wrath came gushing, "Sophia You Dirty-Minded Roberts! Gah if only you were in front of me now!"

Sophia's grin bubbled into merry laughter as Maryam continued to list the various gruesome threats that she would carry out.

"Hey I was just telling the truth. And it's time he noticed that there lived other women on earth besides his darling daughter," Sophia's voice was gently mocking to Maryam's ears. "There's no need to be so protective about him. He's obviously older and more experienced than you're, let him have some fun now and then. Encourage him to socialize, date some wonderful women -

When Sophia ended her friendly advice, there was a long silence on the other side. Have I hurt her by my frank opinion? Sophia worried in belated uneasiness.

"Mar -"

"It's not like I keep him in binds Soph," Maryam interrupted her with a mixture of rough tenderness. "It's he himself who binds his whole life to mine. Yes he's indeed older in years than me, but... I don't think he's that experienced - as long as I have known him, he follows this punctual routine which he rarely varies from.

"Sometimes I feel like he's an innocent and I'm an old woman in the ways of the world. You know how I have changed now, but my Abba is still how he used to be. One could say I'm more religious than him now." Maryam laughed, not hiding the self-deprecation that she felt inside her.

"But y'know I can never be sure about my holding on to practicing goodness... to all this piety always, coz there are times ... I don't know," she sighed, a breath dragged deep from her struggling heart.

A loving smile flitted across her lips as she continued softly, "Yet with absolute certainty I can say this about my dad, he will never do anything that isn't honest or right. And Soph sweetheart, I told you before, no - I explained to you in detail how it's not allowed 'to date' in Islam... all of which of course I learned recently and I don't know how much I'll follow or how long I would last before slipping back into something which I shouldn't do..."

"You would be alright," Sophia comforted but felt that these things about Islam which her friend was learning and striving to follow seemed a bit too harsh.

The call ended after some more minutes and Sophia finally turned from the terrace's railing, a pensive smile on her lips.

She glanced up from her phone's screen, and then visibly stiffened.