$ F O R T Y • F O U R $

To Test And Recognize
~
June 24th, 2019
Southampton, New York
Twenty-First Week Pregnant

Vera's P.O.V.

7:28 pm.

       It was Lilly's birthday today and she's turning twenty-three. I wanted to feel happy for her, but I couldn't bring myself to have my mind clear of worries.

The doctor suggested creating a breathing exercise to calm my nerves when I begin to stress. Leone helps me every morning, but that did little to my stress levels. I've been trying for my baby, but it seemed impossible. Xavier was—is like a brother to me, and having that snatched away left a deep wound in all of our hearts.

After all, we weren't allowed to see him anyway. I wondered how he was. My parents told me the look he wore when he saw his family, and he was frightened. The poor boy was traumatized, begging for help, and the justice system looked the other way.

"Vera?"

Leone squeezed my shoulder gently, bringing me back into reality. I blinked up at him and he cupped my jaw softly.

I offer a blank smile that I knew he was going to see past. We were celebrating her birthday with dinner at my parent's mansion, but all of us weren't in the mood. Xavier's presence affected us all.

One of my parent's staff approached the table with a sealed envelope on the tray they were holding. "A letter for you." I furrowed my eyebrows as I thanked them. Taking the envelope, I studied the cheap envelope in my grasp. Leone glanced my way, but he didn't pry.

Tearing the seal, I slide out a lined-paper. I looked at the envelope and there was no receiving address, only mine.

Vera and everyone,

I couldn't find another way to reach you other than this. Please, don't try to find a way to reach me, they're always watching me.
I don't want to say nothing has happened yet, but there have been a few small fights that were close to getting physical. They've been calling all sorts of names when the social workers aren't around.
My aunt terrifies me. The nightmares are getting worse when I'm asleep.
My parents wanted me back because of the attention I was getting. They wanted the 'fame', not me.
I'm going to write to you soon. Please help me get out of here before it's too late.

Love, Xavier.

My mouth was partially apart. I felt tears welling in my eyes as I kept rereading the letter. My hands were softly shaking that caught Leone's attention. "Vera?"

I broke out into a sob as Leone's arm encased my shaking body. I heard shouts around me, asking what happened. I couldn't answer with anything but my cries.

I felt the paper leaving from my fingertips.

"Your dad! Where is he? Where's Bruce?" I heard.

"Hey, breathe in and out. For your baby, okay?" Leone whispered in my ear. He kissed my temple as my cries softened to whimpers. Regaining my breath, he kissed me as his embrace brought me comfort.

"Where is my dad?" I asked. The dinner was untouched with Lilly missing from the table. Cherie must've chased after Lilly who took the note from me. I noticed Norah's hand was rubbing my shoulder supportingly too. I must've not felt it before.

"Do you think that's a good idea?" She asked, her eyebrows furrowed.

I hesitantly nodded. "It'll be better than not knowing what's going on," I mumbled.

"You need to calm down first before stressing out like that again. I'll let you go then." Leone added, standing up and offering his hand. I pursued my lips, complying with no other choice.