Chapter 13: Protection

(AN: I am so sorry this is a later update, I have had final papers I've been working on this week, so won't post until next week. For now, I hope you enjoy! Please don't forget to comment/vote for this chapter! -Rach)

After being nearly strangled by Jar-Jar in a hug, Alana was ready to move into the other room and greet the Senator. Luckily, that was exactly what they did. The group moved into the adjacent room.

"Senator Padme! Lookie! Theysa Jedi bein here!" Jar-Jar exclaimed loudly.

Alana spotted Padme out on a balcony speaking with someone.

"Hello, Senator," Obi-Wan said as Padme came into the room, a woman and a security guard by her side. She was a bit alarmed at the number of Jedi that stood before her, but she quickly regained her composure as Alana and Obi-Wan bowed to her.

"It's a great pleasure to see you again, milady," Obi-Wan said, offering his hand for the Senator to shake.

"It has been far too long, Master Kenobi, Master Skywalker," Padme said, a smile on her face before looking behind them and seeing Anakin. "Ani? My goodness, you've grown."

"So have you," Anakin replied, stepping forward. "Grown more beautiful, I mean. Well, f-for a senator, I mean," he was stumbling over his words, making Alana cringe at his manners.

"Oh Ani, you'll always be that little boy I knew on Tatooine," she said, turning her attention to Sylvan, who was standing just behind Alana's shoulder, her ears angled away from the conversation. "And who is this?"

Sylvan's ears perked in surprise when Senator Amidala spoke to her.

"Sylvan Poreth," Sylvan spoke, bowing to her. "I am Master Skywalker's apprentice."

"That's wonderful," Padme said before turning and making her way to the seating in the middle of the room.

As the group followed, Obi-Wan spoke.

"Our presence here will be invisible, milady, I can assure you," Obi-Wan said and took a seat on the couch, across from the Senator, her lady, and Jar-Jar. Alana found herself sitting

"I'm Captain Typho of Her Majesty's security service," the guard suddenly spoke, choosing to stand beside the Senator. He looked more than happy to have the Jedi there. "Queen Jamilla has been informed of your assignment. I am grateful you are here, Master Skywalker, Master Kenobi."

He made a glance at Padme before continuing.

"The situation is more dangerous than the senator will admit."

"I don't need more security," Padme said, looking across the tables at the Jedi. "I need answers. I want to know who's trying to kill me."

"I'm sorry, Senator," Alana said respectfully. "We are only here to protect you."

"An investigation is not in our mandate," Obi-Wan added.

"We will find out who's trying to kill you, Padme," Anakin spoke up. "I promise you."

The group all seemed astonished by Anakin's blatant disobedience, in particular, Alana, as she couldn't believe the change Anakin had gone through the last time she had seen him. She felt Obi-Wan tense up beside her, turning to Anakin and speaking.

"We will not exceed our mandate, my young Padawan learner."

"I meant that in the interest of protecting her, Master, of course," Anakin retorted.

"We will not go through this exercise again, Anakin," Obi-Wan said. "And you will pay attention to my lead."

"Why?" Anakin muttered.