Chapter 20

When you first move into a new town, everything is intimidating. From the kid next door, to the mail man that talks too much. Making friends is one of the top things on that list. It was something you were in no hurry to do whatsoever.

It's not that you didn't want friends, but you missed your old ones. You just wanted to be by yourself. There were actually a lot of people who came up to you at your new school, and surprisingly, they seemed genuinely interested in you. Maybe it was just because you were the new girl, but you didn't like all that attention that some girls did. Of course, you could at least say that not all the people at this school were jerks like the ones at your other school in Phoenix. This one had some nice kids.

There were two people in particular that were super nice to you, still you weren't in a place where you could really call them your friends, not yet at least. They were two girls, one was named Mili, and the other was Esme. They were best friends themselves, and did practically everything together, just like you and Benny used to do. They were told to show you around on your first day, and ever since then, they've just kind of been sticking to you. You didn't mind it, but you weren't super into it either. You didn't really participate in any of their conversations, and just sat there as they talked.

"Boy those greaser boys sure are something to look at, huh?" Mili asked, turning towards the both of you when she spoke.

"Sure are. Never really see boys around here like that." Esme replied.

You got curious as to what they were talking about, and so you paused from taking things out of your locker, turning yourself around to see two boys in the school halls, their hair greased back and combed through nicely. You'd never really seen greasers before, just heard about them. They seemed like nice kids the more you looked at them, even though you've heard that boys like that can be pretty rough, they both looked sweet, and soft. Maybe it was because you never looked at just façades.

The girls eyes were practically falling out of their heads just staring at them. They were cute and all, but you just didn't see what they saw. You saw two regular boys walking to class. They saw two, slick, leather jacket wearing greasers with cute faces walking to class.

"I like the one with the sunglasses." Mili chided.

"They're both wearing sunglasses Mil." Esme replied. She rolled her eyes and turned to you, who had continued getting book from your locker. "How about you, Elz. Which one do you like?"

You looked back up at her, slinging your backpack on your shoulders and giving a slight shrug.

"I'm not sure I like either of them." You said calmly. You didn't see why it was a big deal, but they did. They looked at you like you were out of your mind.

"You can't be serious. Those boys are the best looking in the entire school. You'd have to be crazy to just overlook them." Esme paused, thinking about maybe another few reasons why you though what you did.

"I'm not crazy. Maybe I'm just not looking for a guy right now." You shrugged your shoulders once again, shutting your locker and stepping out into the hallway with Mili and Esme coming right beside you.

"Oh, I know why she doesn't like the pretty boys." Mili started her suggestion, a skittish smile forming on her face. "Elz has a boy waiting for her in Glendale. It's obvious the way she dozes off all the time, it's because she's in love!"

You instantly felt weird about that last comment. It's not like she was wrong, but it was more complicated than that. You weren't really sure about how you should tell them, but you figured they would find out eventually.

"Well, Elz... the blush on your face says she's right, so who's the lucky guy?" Esme nudged you as you all walked, and you had to think fast so you didn't spurt out anything stupid.