Chapter 40

Kora

Kora

"Did you tell him?"

I left my eyes to stare right into Grace's. I could see how anxious she was, anxious to know what really happened last night, anxious to know what really went down between Jeremiah and I.

What went down between Jeremiah and I anyway?

Nothing exactly, besides us just talking about a whole lot of things. Even though things were a bit weird between us, now that I knew who he really was, it didn't really change that much. How I thought of him, how I felt about him didn't really change, even though I knew he had an attitude that wasn't really accommodating of me. Yes he was arrogant and extremely rude, but that had to be because he didn't know it was me.

That was all I needed to tell myself. I really wanted to believe that. Maybe he was that way to people he wasn't close to, to people he didn't know. I guess when you get to know him the way I was starting to, he loosens up, and warms up a little to you. He told me everything. He told me about his family. Not that there was much to tell anyway, I mean, who on this part of the world or continent didn't know about the Ozors? I'm not a news person, or a fan of politics, but that was one family I just had to know, not because I wanted to, but because everyone around me did, and wouldn't just stop talking about them.

Their faces were literally everywhere. On billboards, on magazines, on Forbes, award shows and a lot more. They literally had more recognition in this lifetime, than even the president. They were especially known for living really cool lives, luxurious lifestyles. Every rich person in this continent somehow wanted to be affiliated with them. They were also known for their good works, like their foundation for homeless and abandoned children, their yearly scholarship programs for over a hundred Nigerian students to study abroad, their annual giving back to the society auction gala, where they raised a lot of money for widows, clean water and good roads for people living in the rural areas.

Talking about the gala, that was one party everyone always wanted to attend. Every rich folk would kill to be invited. I mean, who wouldn't want to attend the GBTS annual gala? The GBTS was like the grammys of our continent. Everyone wanted to be given an invitation, because only really important people were ever invited. You could be rich and all that, but you wouldn't still get an invitation, no matter who you were. At least old money had a higher percentage of attending, the rest of us, all we could do was hope we were ever deemed important enough to attend. You should see what happens on social media during the event. It was more like a low key competition show, or runway for the best dressed, and most successful celebs, a time for them to show off.

You'd see them spending a lot of cash, just to look good and catch the attention of the public on TV and in the news. That's all rich people do, crave for the attention of the public, and we all give it to them, me included. This year's gala was coming up real soon. I heard it was going to be an all red, nineties theme. I also heard that invitations were getting handed out already. What did I care? It was not like I or my mum and her family ever had a chance of attending anyway. Peter wasn't that important to the Ozors. I bet they had never even heard his name all their lives. Levels.