19. Fake Smile.

Chapter 19: Fake Smile.

The bake sale is running smoothly. After I got home I baked my own set of sugar cookies and they are selling out fast.

Hannah is helping Stephanie out at her station.
At my station, it's just me and Adam.

Zachary stares at me and I flip my hair.

"This is insane, you can't avoid him forever." Adam says, throwing his hands in the air, being extra dramatic.

"Two hours isn't forever." I point out.

"Date him already." Adam pesters on.

"Been there, done that. He's expecting a baby, remember?" I tell him.

"I'd like a sugar cookie please." Courtney demands as she stops at our table.

"Sorry, we're all out." Adam tells her.

She frowns at him.

"There's a whole tray staring at me right now." Courtney screams.

"You're correct. We're not out, we just don't sell cookies to bitches. Try Stephanie's stand." I tell her, giving her a fake smile.

"Screw you, Valarie." She says, before walking away.

"Be my guest." I yell.

"I hate her." Adam says in disgust.

"Oh, I know." I reply, slightly amused.

"Okay guys, the bake sale will close in thirty minutes. The winner will be the person that earns the highest." Mr. Dalton announces.

Chaos begins as soon as he says that. Everyone is running around trying to find customers. While some people are running to various vendors to get baked goods.

"I'll take ten." A cheerleader says as she reaches my table.

"Coming right up." I tell her, as I package her order. I dust icing sugar on the cookies and I hand them to her. She hands me twenty dollars and I give it to Adam.

"We're all sold out." He rejoices.

"Yay." I say, clapping my hands.

"Drama approaches you." Adam says, staring straight ahead.

"What are you talking-" I turn around and I see Spencer walking down the hall.

"What is he doing here?" Adam asks me.

"I don't know." I reply.

"Valarie, can we talk for a second?" Spencer asks me.

"Hmm." I gulp.

"Can we talk outside?" He asks again.

"Um, sure." I tell him, as I stand up from the chair I am sitting on.

I trail behind Spencer as he leads me outside.

We stop at the parking lot and I stare at him, waiting for him to speak.

"I'm leaving Langston. My dad's done with the business he came here for and there's no use staying." He tells me.

He can stay for me.

"Oh, that's so sad. I thought you weren't going back to Ravenswood?" I ask him.

"I wasn't going to leave because you were my reason to stay, but now that you're hung up on Zachary, I'm no match for him." He tells me.

"That's not true and you know it." I tell him.

"Does it matter Vee, you're never going to want me." He says in a low tone.