Fifty Eight

Jazmyne moves her food around on her plate, nodding. "Well... I'm going to Tatiyana's house tomorrow".

Meech looks over at Elijah and Korey. "Yeah... We're going to Scott's".

Mr.Harris raises his eyebrows, "So no one will be home?"

Mrs. Harris smiles, "More time for us then". Mr.Harris smiles back, nodding at her.

Jazmyne fake gags, "You guys are gross. We're right here".

She smiles and shrugs. "So...How is everyone doing? Jaz, you have a girlfriend yet?"

Jazmyne picks up her cup, shrugging. "No".

"No? Why are you blushing?"

Jazmyne lets out a dry chuckle and shrugs. "I'm not dating anyone".

Meech and Elijah's exchange looks, passing it to Korey. Jazmyne looks over, mouthing at them to stop.

"Hm. Okay".

**
Benjamin looks through his closet for his outfit for tomorrow. His mom walks in, smiling. "Hey, sweetheart. Any plans this weekend?"

Benjamin turns around, "Staying in and doing homework".

"No hanging with Noah this weekend?"

Benjamin shakes his head, holding out a tee-shirt, "No...He's hanging out with Elly".

"Oh. You wanna go out for dinner tomorrow after school?"

"Sure!" Benjamin turns when he hears his phone ringing. Benjamin's mom smiles and nods before walking out of the room.

Benjamin picks the phone up, answering Noah's call. "Hi, baby".

"Hey, babe. Elly, Gabi and I are leaving at like..eight tomorrow... I'll call you when we get to the party".

"Okay...Hey...Can I tell you something that you can't tell anyone else?"

"Uh...Yeah, are you okay?"

"I-its about Gabi...and I know Lucas is your best friend and having to keep this-".

"Hey... Tell me... I'll keep my mouth shut".

"Okay, Gabi broke up with Lucas because Gabi has really bad feelings for Elly and Lucas is so fucking heartbroken".

"Wait...Backtrack she broke Lucas? When?"

"I don't know...But then she told me that's she super jealous that Elly likes Jazmyne but she's also mad at herself for hurting Lucas".

"Wait...So why is she coming with us to the party? What...To sabotage them meeting up?"

"I don't know...I just feel bad for Lucas".

**
Lucas lays Imani down in her bed before walking back to the kitchen. He turns the sink on, washing the dishes.

His mom opens the front door, a McDonald's bag in her hand. "Hey, honey. She sleeps?"

"Yeah...She just fell asleep".

"Okay. They put me on the list for nine-thirty so...I have to leave in about an hour".

"Ma, you don't have to work two jobs. I told you I can start working...Help pay bills. Plus, isn't he suppose to send the check-in next week?"

Lucas's mom sighs, eating a fry. "Luke, your father is not the most reliable source right now. Plus, you have basketball. Don't wanna stop you from that".

Lucas turns the sink off, nodding. "Okay. I need to go get changed...". She grabs her bag of food from the counter before walking back to her room.

Lucas sighs and looks around. He walks into his room, grabbing his phone. He dials his father's number.

He hears coughing as he answers, as well as loud music in the background. "Hello?"

"Hey. It's Lucas".

"Oh! What's up!"

"...Mom is working two jobs and trying to support us. You're supposed to be sending in checks. We haven't got one in a year".

"Yeah, yeah. Sorry, bud. Promise I'll get it to your mother soon. In the meantime, why don't you help your poor mom out".

Lucas furrows his brows, "Excuse me? I help out all-".

"Look, kid. That's good to know. I-...I actually have to go...bye-".

Lucas looks down at his phone, shaking his head. "Fuck you".

**
Elly walks into school, sitting next to Lucas. "Parents are bitches".

Lucas lets out a dry chuckle. "Tell me about it. Your mom? What happened this time?"

Elly hums and looks up, "She sat me down after dinner and gave me a bible lesson on why I shouldn't be gay".

Lucas shakes his head and sighs. Elly sits up, "What about you?"

Lucas turns to her, furrowing his brows, "Hm?"

"Why are you on the whole 'parents are bitches' movement".

Lucas chuckles again and nods, "My father...Who left after Imani was born, won't send in his child support and my mom is working two jobs right now".

"Damn, for real? I could lend ya some money. You know I used to hustle and shit".

Lucas shakes his head, "Thanks for the offer and all but...It's fine...I mean, were pretty good but, my mom is paranoid. Got evicted last year".

"Damn. I'm sorry bro...I know what that's like though".

Lucas nods, "She won't let me help either. And...I just want to beat the shit out of my fuckface father...Glad Imani never had to meet him...Grow a bond...Love him-".

Lucas stops as his voice cracks. He looks down, sniffing. Elly scoots closer to him, wrapping her arm around him. "It's okay".

Gabi walks in, seeing the two. She blushes and walks over to them, "H...Hey".

Lucas looks up before looking right back down. He wipes his eyes, clearing his throat. "Everything okay?"

Elly nods, "He's cool. We're just talking".

Gabi nods and shoves her hands into her jacket pockets. "Okay? I'm gonna go use the restroom before class...Feel better, Lucas". Gabi half-smiles and walks away.

Elly watches her walk away before looking down at Lucas. "Ya okay?"

"We broke up".

**