CHRISTMAS SPECIAL

CHRISTMAS SPECIAL: The Joy That Brings With Santa's Sleigh Bell Rings

"Fuck Christmas!" Diana screeches from the pantry door, whacking her brunette head on the cupboard lightly as she throws away yet another failed attempt at wrapping even one of her child's gifts the night before Santa 'supposedly' comes in the night, not breaking and entering into people's homes to give questionable gifts.

No mother will like the fact that once the most stressful time of year comes about, the magical fairytale of an obese, comically old cherry to the fanatic merry rotates the world on a sleigh sled of antlered animals that can fly in formation around the world in less than twelve hours. Delivering presents, when really, we did all the work.

No wonder we all get drunk afterwards.

I can't even believe I bought that shit...but, it was most certainly worth it. The first time I'd seen Marvin, Melanie and Mathias' faces when Maximus and I were awoken in excited over-enjoyment because a fat immortal old man had magical squeezed himself down our chimney and placed multiple gifts under the tree Maximus and I had decorated on the first of December.

Closing my eyes, another frustrated screech leaves Diana's lips and Rosa-belle chastises her quickly with an annoyed whisper-yell, "Enough, Diana. You'll wake the kids."

The next moment, the sound of thrumming engines enter my driveway and I notice the men have arrived back from their game, I take a sip of my tea before fixing the bow on one of Melanie's presents, a colouring book she'd wanted online.

She's become quite the little artist and Maximus couldn't be more thrilled to ask her in detail about what each artwork she draws is about.

She's obsessed with varies species of flowers that Hideyoshi sends over from Hong Kong, each new one she draws. Maximus, though disgruntled it's all our little Melanie likes to talk about, he'll stay up late working on framing her drawings and liking the looks of utter astonishment on her face each morning she sees a new framing on her wall.

Mathias, my youngest, who Maximus and I had only two years ago and Marvin take sheer interest in my assortments of model cars and the little figurine race cars I spoil them with.

The door unlocks as the men whisper for the other to be quiet, though it's Ivan who chuckles, "Shut up, our woman are probably asleep, idiot!" Andrew chastises and a pregnant Rosa-belle from the side of me, rolls her eyes in sheer annoyance.

Maximus is the third face I see when Carter and Trevor, both wearing blue and red painted stripes on this aged faces are the first.

Diana has no laughter in her eyes as she raises her glass of red wine, "So, the men decided that going to a football game was worthy of the shit they'll have to deal with when they return back home, on Christmas Eve, to their wives who are actually trying to make tomorrow the best day for our children? Is there not something wrong with this picture, you blithering imbeciles!"