Chapter 48

I look up at the ceiling making me hit the back of my head against wall. I take Dean's sweatshirt off and throw it across the room.

I'm going to find him.

I change into my suit and look around my room. There is nothing I really have to bring with me but I wanna feel okay. Maybe if I find the guy who killed Dean and show him that he hurt me I'll feel better.

"Karen, any chance you saw who killed Dean last night." I say the words sound hollow and meaningless.

"Yes, a man named Eli Johnson. In the past he had connections with Hydra."

"Hydra. Of course it's Hydra. Why wouldn't it be Hydra?" I ask myself and make my way across the room to the huge windows. The breeze feels good on my face, even through my mask. "Can you give me directions to his location?"

"Peter are you sure you would like to find him?" Karen asks and I make a face. Do I want to find him, to see him? Yes, I need to see who killed Dean with my own eyes.

"Yes, Karen." I nod, my voice barely above a whisper. I need to find his murderer. I need to see who did this.

"Loading fastest route as we speak."

"Thanks." I mumble and swing my way into the city. I follow the route that Karen made for me, making a few stops along the way to stop a car crash that would have involved a school bus and a truck. I wave to the kids but keep moving, usually I would've stopped and said hi or something but I'm kinda busy right now.

I swing to the top of some random building and see him walking down an alley. I would've never thought it would've been him, he doesn't look like someone who would be a criminal. Someone who would work for Hydra. Someone who would just kill someone without a second thought or even knowing the person's name.

He looks normal.

If I never met Dean, even better if I didn't get close to him and stupidly fall in love with him he wouldn't be dead right now. He's dead because of me. Because I was stupid and wasn't able to protect him.

I'm not able to protect anyone.

I'm like a disease, everyone I love ends up dying. I think about that for a minute. My parents died, uncle Ben died, Aunt May died, and now Dean is dead. If I get any closer to the Avengers they are going to die, I need to keep them safe.

I watch as Eli Johnson walks down the street and I walk with him from above. He's on the phone, talking to someone. He enters an alley and I jump down.

"-worry. I know I'll be..." He says before noticing I'm standing behind him. He stumbles back and drops his phone onto the concrete. He looks confused but like he knows why I'm here. "Please don't kill me, I have to go home."

"You killed that boy, his name was Dean." I state trying to locking eyes with him but he looks down at the ground.

"I-I did it for my boss!" He says panic in his voice I give him a look and he wipes his face with his hands. "I'm sorry... I just need to go home." He whispers and I shake my head.

"I'm not going to kill you." I mumble and pick up his phone. "I don't do the killing thing." I tell him before putting the phone up to my ear.

"Hello? Hello?" I hear a woman's voice on the other side of the phone. She sounds confused and upset.

"Daddy?" A girl's voice calls and I tighten my grip on his phone.

"Hello, who's this?" I say trying to sound older then I am.

"Grace go to the other room," I hear the woman say and after a second she speaks up again. "This is Eli's wife, Emily. What's going on?" She asks and I nod, makes sense.

"Nothing, just helping him out." I say and I hear her take a breath of relief. I hand him back his phone and he locks eyes on me. "Go home." I say and he scrambles up.

I swing around the city, thinking about everything. Everything's I've done up to here to ruin others lives and how everything would have been if I didn't mess ever up.

When I get back to the compound, the sun is already down and the street lights are on. I land in my room and the lights turn on automatically. I change into a pair of sweatpants and a shirt before I sit down at my desk.

I pick up my phone halfway through writing down a couple of changes for my web formula. I'm going to text Ned and tell him I wouldn't be going to school tomorrow when I see Deans contact come up as the first person to text.

I stare at it for a minute and put it down face up on the desk. I stand up and walk around my room with my hands in my hair.

"I'm so stupid!" I say and pick something up off my desk before throwing it across the room. It's quickly followed by books, pictures, stuffed animals and anything else I can my hands on because I can't stop. I watch as the pile of stuff grows and each time I throw something at the wall I just want to scream. Scream at myself for being such an idiot and putting his life in danger. Eventually I run out of things to throw and stare at the pile knowing that no matter what I do I'll always end up hurting the people I love.

I pick up my phone and scroll through the texts Dean and I had sent back and forwards. I only get a few days back before I find myself throwing it at the wall and I feel my eyes burning from the tears.

I put my head against the wall and an idea hits me like a train.