002. goodbye sister, hello mentor

( 𝒉𝒖𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚'𝒔 𝒇𝒂𝒖𝒍𝒕𝒔 ).
two.『 goodbye sister, hello mentors 』

𝐒𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐀𝐂𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐑𝐒 𝐎𝐅 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐌, 𝐂𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐊𝐍𝐔𝐂𝐊𝐋𝐄𝐒 𝐍𝐄𝐑𝐕𝐎𝐔𝐒𝐋𝐘. Her breathing was uneven as she walked back and forth on the wooden floorboards, not ready for the train to come to pick her up. For three years she had managed to slip by, and now she was going to be marching to her death the second her time with her sister and anyone else who came to visit her was up. The thought of the train that would take her away by itself scared her. She'd seen the most gruesome ways someone could die in there. The dying part wasn't her problem. Part of it was. But the main part was how she was going to die. Her sister wouldn't be there to soothe her in the arena. She'd be alone. Alone and afraid.

The door opened rather quick and her sister sprinted through to wrap her arms around her tightly and Indie returned the embrace with just as much ferocity, vaguely hearing the guard say five minutes, but it didn't pass through her mind. All she could make out was her sister's tight, warm hug that enveloped her. The way she smelled like flowers and salt. The way she had tears that dried on to her face, indicating she'd been so fearful for Indie that she had indeed been crying. Indie melted into her arms and held back tears wondering if this was the last embrace she'd get with her sister. Was she going to make it back home?

"Indie, I'm so sorry." She whispered and Indigo didn't understand why. It wasn't her fault that the capitol was talking her away from her. It wasn't her fault she was being forced to do this. To compete in a game to the death so people could watch and cheer and act sad about her death. "I'm so sorry, Indie." She repeated as more tears slid down her face, her voice raspy. Indie clutched onto her sister harder, doing her best to not let tears fall from her brown eyes, burying her face into her sister's shoulder to stifle the sobs threatening to spill from her lips.

Finally, Katherine pulled away and Indue got to see her year filled eyes that had tears on them, red and puffy from crying. She set a hand behind Indie's head, cradling it and wrapping her hand in the locks of brown hair. Indie felt her chin wobble slightly as she fought the oncoming tears. "You can win, Indie. I know you can. Please. Please win for me." She said and caressed Indie's cheek slightly. "I don't care what you have to do, and maybe that's selfish but I just need you to home."

Indie sniffed slightly, reached her hand up to wipe away Katherine's tears that lay against her cheek, rubbing her eyes to rid them of any signs of tears before saying, "I will. I promise. I will, Katherine. I'll try to come home." She reached down to take hold of Katherine's hand, pulling it to her chest and holding tightly, "But the odds aren't in my favor."

"Just be strong, be tough. I lo-" she tried to say something put the door open and in walked a couple of peacekeepers.

"It's time to go."

"What, no no-" Indie said as they walked farther in, waiting to escort Katherine out as she looked tearfully back at them. "No, that couldn't have, that couldn't have been five minutes." She denied quickly as Katherine looked back at her sister, and planted a kiss on the top of her head. "Katherine. . ."

"I love you."

Indie nodded as a peacekeeper walked up and took ahold of Katherine's forearm, taking her away. "I love you," Indie called out but it was too late as the door closed.