Chapter 28 (Epilogue)

We were late.

"Can you drive any faster?" I asked, voice on the edge of hysterics as I looked to Alex - who looked like he was in the middle of Fast and Furious, trying his best to weave through traffic.

"I don't know if you noticed, but we're in the middle of a traffic jam," he replied, pointedly gesturing to the congested road in front of us.

I groaned, rubbing the side of my head with my left hand - the ring on my finger a new weight, the metal band against my skin giving me something else to concentrate on.

Because there was no way in hell that we were going to make it in time.

"We haven't missed one of these in the last five years, and we're not about to start now," I told him, asserting just how important it was that we made it to our destination.

Alex knew that already, but it bore repeating.

He set his jaw in a firm line, and looked to the left and muttered a, "hold on," before dangerously taking a sharp turn.

"I didn't mean kill us in the process!" I yelped out, gripping onto the door for dear life.

I should have learned to drive. Then I wouldn't have been compelled to spend all of my car trips with a maniac driver.

Alex pulled in and looked to me. "We're about ten minutes away. Think we can run it?"

Sure, I thought we could run it.

I had always been good at running. Usually away from things and definitely not towards them, but the motion was the exact same.

Make it in time? That was a different question.

We had very little choice in the matter anyway, so we got out of the car, locked up and started sprinting down the street.

It was with seconds to spare by the time we got to the front door, which I yanked open for Alex to shoot through - me hot on his heels.

"Shit," I skidded to a halt. There were four different hallways - all identical. None with a sign to show us the way. "We're not going to make it."

"Yes, we are," Alex asserted. Damn optimist.

A door slammed down the second corridor, and we took our chances - quickly following it. There was a white door at the end of the corridor, and Alex burst through first.

We made it.

Thank fuck.

The gymnasium was packed, proud and anxious friends and family taking up the seats along the edges. Alex reached back for my hand, and I took his without hesitation as we tried to find two free seats.

A hand stuck out from the crowd, waving frantically.

"Over here!" Austin yelled, gesturing to two free seats that Kelly was currently lying across - presumably to keep them free for us. She was heavily pregnant, so nobody told her to move.

Alex grinned, leading me through the rows of people - a few not too happy that we were obscuring their view.

"Settle down," I shot at someone who tutted as we cut across them. "Hasn't even started yet."

We got to our seats with little incident, slumping down and catching our breaths.

"You're late," Kelly said, giving us both a death stare.

"I know, I know, sorry," Alex replied, my hand still in his. He absently rubbed the band on my ring finger, which caused me to smile.

"What kept you two anyway?" Austin asked curiously, leaning forward to look at the two of us. Alex looked at me with a raised brow, and I just smirked right back.