18 | too many faces

| meliorism |
chapter eighteen
under control ❞

| meliorism |chapter eighteen❝ under control ❞

  ҉  ҉  ҉

         Rhena sighed quietly, playing with the wattle bottle in her hand. There was a lot in her mind, causing her to zone out more than normal.

She sat between Tyler, who was smoking, and Jeremy, who was beginning to talk about how strange the death of Vicki was. Saying that something must had happened, because they found her buried, and a person just doesn't bury another one without a reason. Something was off about the situation, and she agreed with him.

Tyler kept denying it, saying that it was only an overdosed. But if it was that way, why did it felt like there was a piece missing? She didn't know what it was, but at least she wasn't he only one with suspicions.

Her phone began to vibrate on her lap, taking the attention of the two boys. She looked down and saw Caroline's name on it, her mind going back to the night where she told her about Vicki. Exhaling, Rhena smiled apologetic to the two and stood up.

Once she was away from the people, she accepted the call, and immediately the voice of her friend filled her ears.

"Rheny? Oh my god, I didn't think you would answer" Caroline's surprise tone was obvious, making her chuckle humorlessly.

"Yeah, me neither" she confessed, shrugging lightly. She bit the inside of her cheek as she looked around her, watching everyone get into their own little world.

"How are you? I miss you" Caroline spoke lowly, causing her to crack a smile.

"I'm good, how are you? How's the day with your dad?" Rhena kicked a rock near her, trying to entrained herself. She heard the deep sigh of her friend.

"It's good, a little bored, but I'm managing...how's everything going in my absence?"

Rhena rolled her eyes playfully, feeling better than other days now that she felt everything going back to norma. Better than other days.

"Everything it's crumbling down, I swear no one knows what to do, a guy almost crash into me looking for a football, can you believe it?" Rhena smiled, and it grew wider once she heard the laugh in the other end.

Caroline exhaled "I missed this" the two stayed quiet for a few seconds until her cheerful tone came back "you're gonna help me with the pageant right? It's coming soon, you promised Rhen"

"I promised" Rhena nodded, even though she couldn't see her "I will help"

"Great" Caroline smiled "I'll see you soon, alright? Try not to get lost in the remaining time"