Somewhere Only We Know - 18

I was standing in a field. It was on fire but I wasn't burning, I couldn't even feel the heat of the fire. I was standing in front of a burning farmhouse. It looked like my old family home but I couldn't be sure. It was too far gone for me to tell.

I squinted. A man was walking out of the burning house. As the man got closer he seemed familiar. Not his face, but in the way he walked. He was tall and thin, with a chiselled face and shaggy brown hair.

"Hello, Annabelle."

That was a voice I would recognize anywhere. Kyle, my brother, was walking towards me through the flames. He looked older, he did not look like the boy who left the farmhouse one day and never returned. He looked like a man. I felt giddy. I ran towards him, not feeling the burning ground beneath my bare feet. It felt as if I was gliding through nothing. I ran into his arms.

Him, I could feel. He wrapped his arms around me and I squeezed him tightly. "I missed you, Kyle."

I knew this must be a dream. I had never dreamed about Kyle before, but it was nice. I only had good memories with Kyle.

"I missed you too," he said chuckling. "However now isn't the time for pleasantries. You must tell Jace to get everyone prepared. Tell him to stick to the plan."

I froze.

"Kyle, how would you know Jace? You died before..." I stepped back from his arms. "What is this? Where am I?"

"Annabelle, you need to listen to me closely. I am alive. I will explain everything. You just need to tell Jace that he needs to have everyone ready in 3 days."

I stood there confused. Why would I be dreaming about this? Why does he look so different? If he is alive where has he been?

"You're... you're alive?" A tear dripped down my face. "How? Where have you been Kyle? I needed you."

"Annabelle, I will be there in 24 hours. I will be bringing help. Everything will be okay. Just please tell Jace."

I nodded, more tears coming. I was going to see my brother again. Was this real? Should I believe it?

Kyle nodded and started to walk away. "Wait! Kyle!" I tried to run towards him but my legs wouldn't move and everything started to feel fuzzy.

I screamed in frustration. The dream was gone and everything was white.

I could feel my throat vibrating from the scream that had ripped from my chest. Where is Kyle?! That felt so real. It HAD to be real. I could not have imagined that.

I still could not see, but I could tell Jace had just run into the room, panicked. I blinked a few times, my eyes regaining their sight. I had to tell him. Even if it wasn't real we needed to be ready.

"My brother. I saw him. He is still alive, and he is coming." My throat felt very dry and I gasped to fill it with cold air.

"Coming?" Asked Flynn, horror written across his face.

"Yes," I said, thinking of seeing him again. Hoping it was real and that he was going to fix everything. I smiled slightly. "With help."

Jace and Flynn both looked horrified.

"I think, Elizabeth found him somehow. He knows what is going on and he got a message to me. Jace, he said you need to have everyone prepared for 3 days from now. The original plan is still taking place."

My throat still felt very dry. As I explained what I had just seen to Jace, it felt more and more real. I was right. I know I was. Kyle was coming.