2. Welcome to the Sunshine State

Currently rewriting this story, so bare with me. There's going to be a lot of changes, and I know there will be a few things that don't make sense. I'm aware, and I'm going to fix it....so, it's not that cringe haha! :) And it will look like there's no comments, but since it's a new document, they all went to the bottom. 

"Are you sure I'm not hurting you?" I asked, trying to make myself comfortable in my boyfriend's arms. He fractured his shoulder during a basketball game and had to keep it propped up and iced. I had been checking on him after my classes, making sure he didn't need anything. His roommates sucked and weren't much help.

"I'm good. This is nothing. I'll be up again in a few days," Kevin groaned in pain. Yeah right.

I carefully adjusted the ice pack and rested my head on his good side. "Listen to the doctor and rest. I can't have you all broken up," I urged, pushing my hair away from my face as I clung to his side like glue. I had just enough time to get a short cuddle and drop off his missed assignments but had to come back to help him with them. It was like a full-time job, but I didn't mind. I knew he would do the same for me if I had gotten injured. But you would never catch me playing sports.

Kevin looked down at me with a grin. "The rest of my body works, though," he hinted, but I knew his paperwork said six weeks or until your doctor gave you permission. It was like that was the only thing on his mind sometimes. Relationships were much more than sex.

"No."

"Well, what if—"

"Not happening," I shot him down. "Even if it was possible, I have class in seven minutes."

He wiped his hand down his scruffy face and winced in pain when he tried to move. "Seven minutes is enough time for me," he scoffed, letting out a large exhale. "Now, you want to follow the rules?"

"I just don't want you in pain, Kevin."

"Well, is it against the rules for five minutes with my girlfriend?" he asked, signaling for me to come closer, but there was no more room between us.

"Absolutely not," I said with a big smile. I lifted my head back and planted a quick peck on his lips, wanting to stay like this all day, but I had an exam. One that I barely studied for.

I enjoyed the moment of silence we shared and got too comfortable. I couldn't afford to keep showing up late to class, knowing my grades were slipping a little. I got too tied up in being in a relationship, and it seemed like the only thing that mattered. But everything seemed right, not that I had anything to compare it to.

After minutes of sitting in complete silence. "Babe?"

"Yes?"

"I love you," he whispered, catching me completely off guard. I felt a jolt in my heart that left me winded. No one had ever said those words to me that weren't my family. I longed for someone to love me, the love you fight for and see in movies. I knew that didn't exist, but I had hope.

I jumped from my lying position and gave him my full attention. "What?" I asked in a low tone, wanting to hear him repeat it. He could've been high on pain medicine, and it was a spur-of-the-moment thing. I hoped not. That was a big deal for me.

"I love you, Riley," he repeated, his pupils roaming. I wasn't sure whether to take it seriously, but I did.

"I love you too."

That was the first time we have ever exchanged those words with each other.

"Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen, and thank you for choosing Southwest Airlines," the pilot said, breaking me from my thoughts. Well, he scared the shit out of me, but I kept it cool. "We will arrive in Tampa, Florida, in approximately forty-five minutes. The local time now is 1:25 PM with a temperature of eighty-five degrees. Would you mind remaining seated with all seat belts fastened until further notice? Enjoy."