Tom's file

It was a weekend and almost everyone was at Hogsmeade. Tom, Black, Abraxas, Lestrange and Ophelia all went but Katherine decided to stay behind.

She walked out of the bathroom and saw that a paper folder was placed on her bed. Katherine curiously opened it, dying to know what was inside. Katherine's eyes widened as she skimmed the page, it was Tom's file.

Is this some joke? I should put it back. Or I could...

She couldn't help it, her eyes tore through the pages and before she knew it, she had read the entire first page. She flipped the page and saw a circled section.

Tom Marvolo Riddle.

Father: Tom Marvolo Riddle

Mother: Merope Gaunt

Tom Marvolo Riddle: conceived under a love potion.

The words "conceived under a love potion" were highlighted. Why would someone give her this?

Katherine did what she always did when she wanted answers, she went to the library. She searched through the potions aisle and soon found a book on the effects of a love potion.

While under the effects of a love potion, one becomes obsessed with the other. Love potions create the illusion of love, no such potion can create real love.

Katherine skipped through this section, having already learned this. She skimmed the pages until something caught her eye.

If a child is conceived while one of his or her parents are under the effects of a love potion, the child will be incapable of love.

Katherine's mouth hung open. Surely this book was mistaken, there was no way on earth that, that could be true.

Tom loves me! Doesn't he?
He's told me! Or was it just a lie?
Does he only see me as an obstacle, an obstacle that he had to get rid off?

Questions stormed Katherine's mind. She searched through dozens of other books but they all said the same thing, he is incapable of love.

The hours ticked by and Katherine barely noticed that it was now dark outside. She had put all the books back and was lost in thought.

"I think she's in here" Ophelia said from the hallway. Katherine was so deep in thought that she didn't even realize her group of friends standing in front of her.

"Katherine?" Black called, waving a hand in front of her face. Katherine blinked and saw that her friends were all staring at her weirdly. Tom had a suspicious look on his face.

"Watcha thinking about?" Ophelia asked, rocking back and forth on her heels.

Katherine glanced at Tom from the corner of her eye, trying not to look at him directly. Tom noticed this and immediately knew something was up.

"I'm going to go get something to eat" she said, standing up.

"I'll come with you" Ophelia said, following Katherine out of the library.

Tom waited until they were gone. He grabbed Malfoy's neck, choking him.

"Did you say anything?" Tom asked in a deadly voice.

"I swear I didn't" Malfoy choked out.

Tom let his neck go and he fell onto the floor, gasping for air. Black and Lestrange helped him up. Tom stormed out of the library.

She knows something.

***

Katherine barely touched her food, her thoughts filling her head once more. Ophelia kept babbling on about on fun Hogsmeade was.

Tom came and sat in the seat in front of Katherine. He shot Ophelia a look, telling her to leave.

"I'm going to go" Ophelia quickly said and left.

"Katherine?" Tom asked.

She didn't look up "what?"

"Is everything alright?" He asked.

"Fine" Katherine replied.

Tom sighed "There's something, what is it?"

"Nothing."

Tom was getting annoyed "I don't like being lied to." He said in a harsh voice.

Katherine looked up at him "neither do I." She said with the same amount of harshness in her voice.

Tom was surprised "what's that supposed to mean?"

Katherine looked back down at her food.

"Answer me, Katherine" Tom said in a calmer voice.

She looked up at him again, sadness in her eyes. "There's something I know... Something I don't want to believe. But I don't know what to believe anymore."

"What is it that you know?" He asked.

"Why do you want to know so badly?" Her voice becoming more defensive.

"I'm just worried" Tom said, taking her hand in his.

Katherine immediately pulled it back "I'm going back to the common room" she said, standing up and walking towards the doors. Was it all a lie? Only time will tell.

Dumbledore watched Katherine walked away from Tom, Tom looked worried. A pang of guilt hit him in the chest, his plan had worked.

Was it all an act or does he really love her? This chapter was short because it was a start up chapter for what happens later on in the story.