Gally [6]

As if he was destined to live an awful life, Gally always felt like the world was against him. He struggled to make and keep friends, always wound up hurting himself on accident, and always let the wrong words past his lips. It wasn't that he meant to, but he felt like he had no control over what spilled out of his mouth sometimes. And, because of that, his defence mechanism had turned into a deterrent which made everyone fear him. Based on the fact that he lived in an inescapable stone box, he wouldn't be surprised if the people who had put him in here with no memory were also able of controlling what he said sometimes. It was like the people who put him in this place wanted everyone to hate him.

Gally was kind. He was brave, and he was hardworking. He didn't always come across like that to the other Gladers, though.

There was only one person who managed to see past his rough exterior. It was Y/N, the Glade's only girl.

Like the universe had it planned to play even more cruel tricks on Gally, the gardens were perfectly positioned across the Glade from the homestead where Gally worked. There was Y/N, tying vines with Newt and Zart, her soft laughter wafting across the Glade.

The builder nearly jumped out of his skin when a tap came at his shoulder. He turned to find Alby standing there with a smug smile.

"Newt said there was an incident in the gardens and there are some repairs needed. Go check it out, will you?"

Taking a deep breath, the builder mustered all of the confidence he could. "Yeah, I've got it."

For Gally, it felt like he'd fallen into a trance while walking over to the gardens. When he arrived, he didn't even remember the trip over, but he was met with Y/N sooner than he had hoped.

"Hey," Gally nodded and tilted his nose to the sky in order to keep his head up a little. He had no clue why he did it, maybe it had always just made him feel tougher. "Alby said something needed fixing?"

"Yeah!" Y/N laughed lightly and grabbed Gally's arm, making him flinch. She brought him towards the wreckage and he was finally able to breathe again when she released his arm.

"Ah, Y/N, what the shuck did you do?" He gained the confidence to tease Y/N a little and regretted it once he felt her first collide with his arm.

"Nothing! It was Zart!" She crossed her arms. "And me. A little..."

"You crashed into it." Zart snickered.

Y/N grumbled. "You pushed me!"

"Touche." The blonde track-hoe went back to weeding the carrot patch, laughing to himself.

Gally looked in amusement to Y/N for a moment, his knees almost buckling at the sight of her face scrunched up in anger. It wasn't a vicious or mean kind of rage at Zart, more of a playful one. She was probably plotting her revenge against him. Maybe a bucket of water over the head or worms in the gardening gloves. Whatever it was, it must've been good because she smirked to herself.

"What?" She asked, a brow cocked as she stared at Gally blankly.

"N-Nothing," He brushed it off and turned to the damaged lattice. "You're just—uh—you're cute when you're mad."

When he saw Y/N's face fall, that was when he realized what he'd said. "Wait—no! I mean—I don't—"

The sheer look of horror on the girls face was soon replaced with one of amusement. She laughed a little, brushing it off. "Anything I can help with?" She redirected his attention.

"Uhh, yeah." He cleared his throat. "You see the lumber over there?"

Y/N nodded, eyeing the pile of wood Gally pointed to. "Mind bringing over a couple pieces?"