Chapter 28: Ambivalence

As we enter the extravagant dining hall, my attention immediately goes to the large mass of people that fill the mammoth room. My eyes automatically begin to search for Crispin—or anyone familiar, really—but it's no use, the crowd of bodies engulf anyone within a twenty meter radius.

Looking up, I realize just how aristocratic the room is. Cherubs are painted on the ceiling, some wielding dainty bows while others eat clusters of grapes. The trim—a painted bright golden color—lines both the ceiling and floor, intricate patterns carved into the wood. The walls are a pale cream color with beautiful portraits hung randomly around the room. Maids stand by, their hands crossed humbly behind their backs as they await for orders. In the center is one of the longest tables I've ever seen in my life, stretching at least thirty or so feet from one end to the other. The wood is a deep ebony color with matching chairs, its backs draped in white tulle.

A variety of scents envelope me and I inhale deeply, recognizing a few smells such as turkey, potatoes, and tomato soup, but others are entirely new to me though they too make my mouth water.

Music plays from the corner of the room—a man on a piano, another on a violin, while a woman's nimble fingers pluck a harp—filling the air with a melodic tune.

"This is...a lot," I say out loud to Thomas feeling suddenly overwhelmed, "I thought it would be, well more private I suppose." I don't particularly enjoy the idea of surrounding myself with a room full of strangers, knowing that they will pretend to be happy to meet me and talk about the things they imagine I care about only to disapprovingly whisper about me behind my back when they get home.

Thomas gives a half shrug before turning to me. "My father's affairs are hardly ever small. He feels as if he needs to keep up appearances though the majority of the attendees only come to to get the latest gossip or scandal."

"How typical," I think. I'm just about to tell him this when I catch sight of a flash of  raven curls in the sea of bodies and I know I've found him. "Excuse me," I say instead, releasing my hold on his arm. Gripping my dress, I lift it up to make walking easier and brace the crowd, slipping through with relative ease. As I get closer, I see that Crispin—who is wearing a navy blue dress shirt paired with a pair of steel grey trousers that hug him closely along with a decadent cape—is talking to Laria and Amiri.

Both look striking as well, especially Laria, whose vibrant red gown clings to her torso before cinching at the waist and fluffing out towards the floor. Her short hair has been freshly shaved on one side—showing off the glistening diamond earrings that dangle from her ears—while the other hangs in loose waves down to her chin. Her makeup is light and draws out her features and I can't help but give a soft smile of approval.

Amiri sports a maroon dress shirt paired with a deep blue coat whose collar is so high it grazes his jaw. His trousers are a matching color and are tucked into a sleek pair of black boots. His long hair is in its usual braid and is draped over his right shoulder, decorated with silver clasps.

He sees me and nudges Crispin's arm who then turns around when I'm only a few feet away.

His emerald eyes widen as he sees me before dropping to the floor, taking their time to look me over and making their way back up to my face.

"Cora, you look...beautiful," he says, looking me over once again. "I mean really," he adds, shaking his head in disbelief.

The grin forms on my lips before I give permission and I step forward, snaking my arms around his warm torso. I feel him place a kiss on my forehead and step back. "You look quite handsome yourself," I say, trying to conceal my blush. You'd think that after all this time I'd become immune to his charm.