Newt [25]

Newt wasn't oblivious. He knew that Y/N hadn't been sleeping much. Those little creaks in the floorboards of the homestead below his room, the light ever so slightly creeping its way upstairs and beneath his door.

The first night she'd stayed up too late, Newt had tried tirelessly to get her to sleep. It had failed and he assumed she'd at least stayed awake until two in the morning. Almost every night since then for the past week, it'd been the same. Unfortunately, Newt could tell her lack of sleep was beginning to impact her days in a negative way.

As second in command, it was his job to look after the Gladers and their wellbeing.

Y/N looked up slowly, rubbing her eyes when Newt sat down in the seat beside her.

"What are you doing up?" Y/N asked, yawning.

Newt titled his head, admiring the girl. Even tired and overly sleep deprived, she still managed to tug at his heartstrings. "I could ask you the same thing."

Y/N sighed. "These books the creators sent up in the box...they have to mean something. There has to be something—"

Seeing his chance, Newt lifted up Y/N's chin with one hand and planted a soft kiss on her lips. Having her distracted, Newt was able to sneak the book out of Y/N's grasp with his other hand. When she finally noticed, it was too late. Newt was already stood up with a smug smile in his face, the book in his hands.

Y/N slumped over and mumbled. "Please give it back. I was onto something."

"Come with me, and we can read it together." He held the book up in the air, shaking it enticingly. Y/N grumbled, but nevertheless, got up from her seat and sluggishly made her way to Newt.

Smiling in gratification, Newt grabbed Y/N's hand and dragged her upstairs to his room where he made room on the bed for her in his arms.

Y/N laid up against Newt's chest while he had his arms wrapped around her, the book held up so both of them could see. "I'll read it for you, love. Just listen."

Newt knew with how tired she was, it wouldn't take long for her to succumb to exhaustion. Regardless of if she fell asleep or not, that didn't trouble Newt. All he wanted was for her to finally be in a bed and resting.

Though he knew she was tired, Newt wasn't expecting Y/N to be this worn out. He head been reading to her for no longer than thirty seconds when her head had thunked against his chest and her entire body relaxed under his hold. Pleased, Newt tossed the book the the floor and took in a long, deep breath.

He was glad Y/N would finally get the much needed rest he knew she'd been pushing off for days. But, now it was going to be him who would be suffering from fatigue tomorrow because he didn't want to sleep for one second while he held her here in his arms. Any time he got to spend with Y/N was pure heroin for him which alleviated any weight on his chest.