Gally [10]

When he lifted his head, she hardly recognized him from all the bruises. Blood was leaving both his mouth and nose, the darkness forming in and around his eyes almost creating a mask. It changed his entire face. The girl would be lying if she said it didn't scare her.

To Gally, the world was blurry and all the noise surrounding him and turned into a continuous, muffled buzzing. All he could see was Y/N now reaching out in his direction, a couple of boys trying to hold her back. They gave off once she screamed something in their faces and let her close to Gally.

Y/N put her hands into Gally's and helped him off of the ground. Everyone around the bonfire seemed to turn away in embarrassment, obviously knowing something Y/N didn't. Ignoring it, she walked slowly with Gally to the medjack hut and made sure he sat down.

Begrudgingly, the world was ever so slowly making its way back to Gally. He could see somewhat clearly and could make out words once again. That however, only made his feelings of shame sink deeper. He was now very aware of how he was here with Y/N and how he'd soon have to explain the reasoning behind his injuries.

Y/N sat down beside Gally with a bucket of cold water and a cloth. "You want to tell me what all of this was about? Because this doesn't look like a normal bonfire wrestle." She motioned to his face in suspicion.

Groaning, Gally took the cloth from her hands and pressed it to his face. He wasn't sure where he should be focusing on cleaning up, all he wanted was the cold on his burning skin. "One of the slicers had some things to say."

Y/N pursed her lips and looked to Gally, very obviously asking for an elaboration. "Like...?"

"I don't wanna talk about it." He, more forcefully than he should have, dropped the cloth into the bucket, rung it out and once again placed it on his face.

"Gally," Y/N moved his hand lower on his face so she could see his eyes. "Be honest."

"Fine." The builder exhaled sharply and wiped the blood out from under his nose. He looked at the cloth in disgust and winced. "Shank told me I was being too protective of you for someone who doesn't stand a chance."

He looked to Y/N for a brief moment then away again. "So I punched him. Things would've been fine if his buddies hadn't joined in."

"No one stopped it?" She questioned. "Not even Alby?"

"Nope," Gally muttered sourly. "Heard Alby tell Newt maybe it was time for me to give up."

Y/N stared at the side of Gally's face in confusion. "To give up?"

"Yeah. On you." He forced the words out but it was obvious they didn't come easy. "Maybe that guy was right. I don't have a chance."

Embarrassed and ashamed, Gally got up off of the cot, nodded to a perplexed looking Y/N and went for the door. For better or worse, she stopped him.

"Woah, don't leave," She seemed to snap back to reality. "How could you think that?"

Leaning against the old doorframe he himself remembered building, Gally pinched the bride of his nose. Ever since Y/N had arrived and ever since they became close friends up until now, Gally had his emotions buried deep within himself. He refused to admit how it was he really felt about Y/N in fear of what she herself and the others would say. One of his biggest fears had already been brought to light today as the slicers ridiculed him for his feelings and he was scared of what Y/N would say.

"No one here can even look me in the eye and call me a friend. I was so inside my head, I actually thought you and I could—" Taken aback by himself, Gally retreated from his words. "Forget it. I don't know what I'm saying."

"Why are you second guessing yourself so much?" Y/N asked. "Are you really going to listen to them? Take their word over my own?"

Slightly phased, Gally met Y/N's eyes once again for a brief moment. His insecurities really had gotten the better of him. So much so, to the point that he never even saw as asking Y/N herself as a viable option. He had himself convinced what the others were saying was the truth and unchangeable.

"So, what do you think?" He mumbled. "Don't say something you don't mean just because you feel bad for me."

Y/N scoffed and ran her hands over her legs. "I didn't know you feel the way you do about us. And I think you're insane to actually believe those jerks when they try to put you down like that."

Heart breaking and lungs burning, Gally stood firm where he was trying to hold himself from crumbling away. His most heart heavy fear was being lifted off of his chest.

"Gally, don't ever think you don't stand a chance. Because you do, trust me." She smiled softly.

"With you?" The tall builder pushed his tired, aching body off of the doorframe and stepped forward until he was just a couple feet from Y/N.

"No, with Minho." Her face fell and she raised a brow. Then, she broke out in laughter. "Yes, me."

Annoyed and yet the happiest he'd ever been, Gally lunged forward and wrapped his arms around Y/N, encasing her in a suffocating hug.

"Don't let what they say get to your head," Y/N comforted. "Is that why you didn't say something sooner?"

Y/N couldn't quite tell, but Gally might have just let out what was a stifled sob as he grabbed her tighter. "Now it all seems so stupid."

Even though Gally was feared by almost everyone in the Glade in one way or another, he was amongst the most fragile. So insecure he hardly held together day by day.

"It's not," Y/N reassured. "They said some awful things."