S e c r e t s

Penelope closed the front door of her house, letting out a breath.

Her day had been emotionally exhausting but also enlightening. She felt closer to Phoenix, now that he felt comfortable enough to open up to her a bit and she hoped that he felt the same way.

"Penelope is that you?" Her mother called from what she assumed was the living room.

Penelope sighed quietly and took off her coat. She had hoped that her mother would've gone to bed early.

"Yes mom, it's me." She answered back.

"Could you come for a second?"

The small girl padded her way over to her mother, while collecting her hair in one hand to tie in a bun.

"Hey mom" She greeted, taking a seat beside her on the couch.

Lila was sat there nursing a cup of hot tea while reading a book.

"Hi sweetie." She smiled, taking off her reading glasses. "How was your day?"

Penelope let out an oof as she settled into the couch next to her mom.

"It was good." She sighed with a smile.

Lila returned the gesture and placed her tea on the adjacent coffee table.

"I know that you haven't been happy with me ever since I brought Jack here.."

Penelope furrowed her brows. Where was this going?

"I'm sorry for putting him before your feelings Elly." Her mom sighed. "You're my baby and you are the most important person in the world to me."

Penelope smiled sheepishly a blush crawling up her neck.

"I thought you liked him" She murmured while playing with her fingers.

"I did-I do." Lila said with an uncertainty that had Penelope questioning her tone. "But maybe we should slow it down a bit."

Penelope nodded slowly, still processing her mother's words.

Sure she was happy that she would have her privacy back, but she didn't expect it to happen so easily or suddenly.

"This sounds great..but why the sudden change of heart? I thought you were bringing him around a lot to get me used to him being a part of the family."

Your words not mine. She thought.

Lila gave a sympathetic smile.

"I know, I know but now I realize just how unfair that was to you. Jack is the first guy that I've been with since...and I guess I was happy to hand over control for the first time in a while. "

Penelope shifted uncomfortably but interest sparked at the direction in conversation.

"Jack is not your father. So, I will stop giving him the power to act like he is." She said after clearing her throat.

The smaller girl tilted her head in suspicion despite how nice her mothers words sounded to her ears.

"This still seems a little strange mom. Are you sure there isn't anything else? Did you guys have a fight or something?" Penelope was sure that this was too good to be true.

"No, no nothing like that. I've just had a lot of time to think. And I don't like being at odds with my Elly bear." She cooed, reaching out to squeeze her daughters cheeks with a laugh.

Penelope blushed and leaned away from her moms pinching fingers.

"So..does this mean that Phoenix can come over?"