Chapter 7

The faintest of frowns appeared on the Alpha's face at my spitting words and the amusement which once glimmered in his eyes diminished, being replaced with a striking look of harsh intensity that made a ripple of fear creep up my spine as I stared back at him in expectancy. 

"You will need to regain your strength if you wish to kill Anabelle then. And your strength will begin to build only when you rest." 

It was not Hannes that spoke, but rather, the female lycan, Lilith. I bristled at the laughter coating her voice, the drawling tone. She moved to stand by Hannes' side, lifting up the picture and studying it as she continued, "And even then, you probably will not be able to murder her, little human." 

My face stung and my left eye twitched subtly at the mounting rage that consumed me. I struggled to breathe as I eyed both of the lycans.

They are mocking me. 

My tongue ran over my suddenly dry lips and Hannes watched the movement, his attention only being shifted away when the female placed a hand on his arm, her smile blinding. "I'm sure you have plenty of paper work to return to, Alpha. I shall walk Olivia to her room." 

"I'll walk alone." I spat, thrilling silently at the way she flinched. I did not wait further for what they had to say, but hobbled out of the room, ignoring the presence of the man and woman, the guards, who flocked to my sides, asking questions I did not bother to answer. 

The anger only began to dwindle once I was in the quietude of the bedroom. I pulled at my hair, thrusting it away from my eyes and wondered who had twisted them. Haphazardly I stumbled to the bed, maneuvering my body so I laid flat on my back, eyes searching the high ceiling above. 

Minutes turned into hours and I listened to the sound of my breathing, mind roaming, yearning for peace.

***********

I did fall asleep. 

But not for long. 

I awoke after three hours, skin prickling with awareness. He was in the room, watching, like a silent, fucking obsessive creep. 

"Get out." My voice was raspy with tiredness, and my neck throbbed; I had fallen asleep with it at an odd angle. I rubbed at it absently, wincing as I stared into the darkness, knowing that Hannes was somewhere in the room. 

My breath hitched at the feel of his calloused hand against my throat, his warm large hand flattening my own and halting my movements. 

"Who did she allow to be killed?" 

My body stiffened further as a rush of emotions flooded me. I fought to maintain some semblance of composure as I responded, "My parents." 

Silence greeted me, until I heard a low grunt. The hand pulled my own away, and I swallowed hard when his fingers pressed gently against my skin, moving them in a circular manner, massaging the pained area of my neck.

"When was this?" His voice was deep as usual, but the silence of the room only seemed to enhance the depth. My eyes lowered shut and I could feel the stiffness from my neck ebbing away. 

"Twelve years ago." My voice was terse and I cleared my throat, hoping that would get rid of my husky tone. I jerked away from Hannes' touch, sitting up carefully, dragging the sheets with me. They were so, so soft and warming. 

"I will deal with her personally." A promise that confused me. My eyes narrowed to where I suspected that he stood. He had not asked for further information, but was so willing to, deal with her, as he put it. Perhaps he knew more than he let on.