Chapter Four

She stared at him for what seemed like forever. "How did you get in here?"

He laughed, taking a step towards her. "You need to be a bit more careful where you leave your spare key. Anyone could get in here!"

"You need to leave." Her voice faltered.

He shook his head. "I'm not going anywhere." He took another step towards her.

She took a step back, trying to keep some distance between the two of them. "I meant what I said when I left."

He laughed. "Yeah and I meant what I said too. You don't get to decide you're leaving me."

"You nearly killed me Jack." She reminded him, shuddering at the memory.

He rolled his eyes. "You're just as dramatic as ever I see."

"I was in the hospital for a month." She snapped. "I don't think you could really call that being dramatic."

"That was your own fault." He shrugged, taking another step towards her.

She backed up until she was right up against the wall. "You need to leave." She tried to sound assertive but her heart was pounding in her chest and her voice trembled.

"Now then, that's not a very nice thing to say. I've come a long way to see you, my wife." He smiled, taking another step towards her. "I've missed you."

She froze, her whole body going rigid, as his hand came out to touch the side of her face. She didn't even want to think about the last time he'd touched her- she was still having nightmares from it now.

"How did you find me?" She whispered.

"Oh sweetheart, did you forget I'm a detective or something?" He laughed sarcastically, she could smell the alcohol on his breath now he was close. "I told you if you tried to leave I'd find you. I'm just keeping that promise." He grabbed at her wrist as she went to push past him, shoving her back against the wall. She winced as her head connected with the wall.

"Get off me, Jack." She pleaded. "You're hurting me."

LINE BREAK

She was an hour and a half late to work the next morning. Jack had finally fallen asleep on the sofa and she'd seized the opportunity to run out of the house. She was going to have to deal with him at some point, but anything she could do to delay it for a few hours she would take, for the moment she'd got no idea what she was going to do.

"Dr. Wright?"

She spun around to look at the nurse who was speaking to her. "Yeah, sorry." She realised she'd not been paying any attention.

"Are you okay?" The nurse asked. "Your face..."

Amber's hand flew up to her right eye, she'd done her best to cover the bruising with make up but clearly hadn't done a good job. Her face was still throbbing where Jack had hit her. "Oh.. I'm fine.. Just a DIY accident." She lied, quickly falling back into old habits.

"Okay." The nurse looked far from convinced. "Can you go in and check on Matthew Casey when you get a moment? He's awake."

"I'll go now, thanks." She nodded. She grabbed his notes and had a quick read through. Her phone rang in the pocket of her lab coat and she knew without looking it would be Jack. She ignored it, something she would almost certainly regret later, and headed to Casey's room.

"How are you doing this morning?" She asked, walking into the room. When she looked up she realised Kelly was sitting there beside Gabby and she met his eyes awkwardly for a second.