89 Foster Son, Don't Be So Crazy (26)

"Young miss, wait...young miss!"

The merchant desperately shouted for their attention again, but the two of them soon disappeared from his sight. He clicked his tongue.

He thought that because the lady seemed to be a pampered young miss, she would take the bait and buy this troublesome Muga silk from him. In the end, he lost another potential customer because of overpricing it too much.

"Well, the day isn't over yet..."

The merchant gave an irritated look at the roll of silk in his hands. Suddenly, he yelped out in surprise, jumping like an ant on a hot pan.

"This...this isn't the Muga silk that I was holding!"

He hurried back to his stall and overturned the various fabrics being displayed there, but the Muga silk that he was so proud of had completely disappeared. The merchant paled, thinking of how much his wife would scold him later on.

His eyes lifelessly stared around him.

"Where...where could it have gone...?"

...

Walking already a few distance away, Xiang Feng busily tried to hide the roll of silk into his satchel. He took the opportunity of Song Jia walking ahead of him to to hide what he had stolen.

He didn't like the merchant, but he liked the Muga silk. Its color was almost the same as Song Jia's hair, and Xiang Feng thought how beautiful she would look if she wore a dress that was made from it. His lips slightly curled upwards.

"Dear, my body is old but my spirit is strong. You best leave this work to me and go strolling around with your son."

Song Jia had walked ahead to support an old woman pushing a cart filled with watermelons. After hearing what the old woman said, Xiang Feng's smile disappeared.

"It's alright, we have all day to look around the market fair. It's no trouble at all," Song Jia said.

Xiang Feng hurried his pace to catch up with them. He saw that her cheeks were slightly flushed and quickly tugged on Song Jia's skirt.

"Jia, let me do it."

Although his figure was small, he had gained a bit of muscle from carrying wooden planks back in the slave encampment. He also held up an embroidered handkerchief that he pulled out from his pocket.

Both Song Jia and the grandmother laughed when they saw Xiang Feng's earnest appearance. He was still short and looked like a porcelain doll, so people couldn't help but pamper and dote on him.

"You've raised such a good child," the grandmother praised, her rheumy eyes twinkling with approval. "I wish my sons were half as nice as yours."

Song Jia simply smiled and crouched down, letting Xiang Feng wipe her sweat for her. The little bun's forehead was also furrowed, taking the task very seriously.

Xiang Feng didn't know why, but he was so nervous that his hand trembled. He felt that everybody could hear the loud pounding of his heart inside his chest.

He carefully pressed the handkerchief against Song Jia's alabaster-like skin. Her eyelashes were thick and long, framing the sky-blue eyes that were warmly staring at him.

Xiang Feng quickly turned red, his hand nearly dropping the handkerchief.

Suddenly, the loud cry of a horse was heard. There were also people screaming, and it was steadily getting louder. There was a crazed horse that was madly dashing towards their direction, and the three of them were blocking its path.