32 ♛ A Truce

- Long'Er -

Ever since the incident, she had been trying her best to steer clear of the prince.

However, it was a rather difficult feat, especially when it was her duty to guard him all day. Her running away would only raise suspicion among the other guards. Besides, how could one avoid him when Li Xun had been staring at her every single minute, hoping to catch her attention?

By now, the side effects had worn off. And the guilt written across his face said it all.

Obviously he remembered everything that happened last night.

He caught her eventually, when he chased the physician, maids and his guards out of his room so that he could rest. When she attempted to scurry out along with them, he grabbed her wrist.

Bending down slightly, he peered into her wide eyes. "When are you going to stop avoiding me?"

"I–I'm not," she denied. He was standing so close to her that it made her heart pound furiously. She was reminded of that night and a blush crawled up to her cheeks quickly.

Thank goddess he didn't rip her mask off her face.

His expression crumbled apart. "I apologise for what I did to you last night. I disgust you, don't I? I won't blame you for thinking that way, because I'm sickened by what I did too."

She was appalled by his tone that was filled with revulsion for himself. "It's not your fault! The poison made you hallucinate. You didn't know what you were doing."

"It still doesn't excuse my rude behaviour and putting my hands on you. I'm terribly sorry!"

"It's fine, I understand! You don't have to apologise–"

However, he wasn't listening to her. He kept apologising to her many times until she could feel a headache approaching.

What else was she supposed to say? That he wasn't the only guilty one and she was actually a woman? That she actually harboured feelings for him? If she were to expose her real gender, she would certainly be punished severely for entering the palace grounds under the pretence of a man–

Wait.

Something hit her then. In his hazy state, he knew her name when she asked him, but why did he hug her? Why did he hold her like how a man would do to his lover?

"Your Highness, about last night... By any chance, did you mistake me for a woman?"

The look in his eyes was unfathomable. He lapsed into a long, unbearable silence and it told her that something was troubling his mind. The longer the silence dragged on, the more she was convinced that he might know her secret. The punishment and embarrassment that she might face shuddered her, sinking her deep into the pits of terror.

Just as she almost ran out of patience, he answered her question.

"Yes, I believe so."

Relief flooded her. She took the chance to lead him back to his bed and encourage him to rest. "Your Highness, you need to forget what happened last night and rest. Nothing matters more than your health."

He didn't answer her verbally. Instead, all he did was to press his lips together and nod stiffly.

***

The following day, she was summoned to the princess's bedchamber.

When she entered the room, she was met with a set of cold eyes that watched her in utmost hurt and betrayal.