PROLOGUE

"Newt?" Nancy's voice rang clear across the tent, the word making the man sat at the desk in the center of the tent look up

"Newt?" Nancy's voice rang clear across the tent, the word making the man sat at the desk in the center of the tent look up. He was her grandfather - the wizarding-world-famous zoologist Newt Scamander - and despite this relation, Nancy had grown to call him by his first name, the pair more friends than relatives.

She had spent every year since she was nine travelling the globe with her grandfather, out of the house of her mother and brother, the woman more focused on her perfect son then their inquisitive daughter. Something which Newt had called a mistake on their part many times. According to him, Nancy was too talented and magical than she should be.

Due to this magic in her, Nancy was unable to stop herself at times, and after multiple incidents with the Ministry of Magic, she was protected by Albus Dumbledore, from the Scottish Castle normally miles away from where she was.

"Nancy?" Newt replied, setting down the quill he was using, focusing on his granddaughter. "How are the hippogriffs?"

"Marmalade is doing fine and despite a little bit of feather loss on her under-wing, Toast is just as fine. But that wasn't my question."  Nancy sat down on the stool near his desk, watching as a bowtruckle climbed up her arm.

"Well then go ahead." Newt waved his hand in some direction, and taking a deep breath, Nancy prepared herself for what she was going to say.

"I would like to attend Hogwarts." She eventually said, and freezing for a moment, Newt stared down at his parchment, before looking at her. "For my sixth and seventh year, so I can be more prepared for my N.E.W.T.s. And so I can know more about the wizarding world there, seeing as I might decide to work there."

Nancy had been travelling the world since she was nine. She had attended magic schools across the globe (Including Beauxbatons in France, Castelobruxo in Brazil, Ilvermorny in North America and Mahoutokoro in Japan) but had dropped out of them when she needed to move away again. She had attended Hogwarts for a short time previously to take her O.W.L.s, but apart from that, every she learnt was from Newt.

She had gotten her wand at age eleven (Cherry wood, unicorn hair, 10 ¾" and slightly springy flexibility), like other young witches and wizards of that age, but due to the protection of Dumbledore, she could not be punished for use of magic outside of school.

And so without attending Hogwarts, she had grown her abilities to far more then most wizards and witches of her age. This was also related to the amount of powerful magic in her veins, and the skills which came along with it.

But for what would be her two final years at a magic school, she decided she wanted the proper experience. And so telling her grandfather that would be a difficult task for her - knowing there was most likely a reason why he decided to not enroll her all those years ago.

But instead of him saying anything, he simple got up and pulled his coat of her shoulder, tapping his supplies with his wand, making them disappear and then walking out of the tent. Hurrying behind him, Nancy watched as Newt waved his wand, the tent folding down into a tiny package. 

"What are you doing?" Nancy asked, as Newt walked around and putting the magical creatures into his case, disappearing in it himself for a few seconds before reappearing with a empty case. He passed it to Nancy and placed the folded up tent in the case and then looked at Nancy.

"Well you left it a bit late didn't you? In two days it's September 1st and we still need to talk to Dumbledore and get your supplies." Newt said, holding out his arm.

Which was how Newt and Nancy Scamander ended up In Dumbledore's office, two days before the start of the term. Dumbledore was watching Nancy with fascination, as Newt sat before him, filling out a form Dumbledore had produced out of thin air.

"She's a lot like you, Mr Scamander." Dumbledore commented, watching the girl as she stood before Fawkes, admiring the phoenix's feathers. "How are her powers coming along?"

Dumbledore had a particular interest in Nancy, having met her when she was eleven to see exactly what Newt had meant when he asked him for his protection over the girl. There was another meeting when she was twelve, but since then there had be no more meetings.

"Stronger than a lot of witches and wizards." Newt replied, looking over at his granddaughter. "She has been casting non-verbal spells for years, something a lot of people can't."

"Miss Scamander." Dumbledore's voice was quiet and calm as it travelled through his office, and the girl stood by his phoenix turned towards him. "Can I see a example of your magic?"

Nodding, Nancy looked around the office, then walked over to a bookshelf and picked up a book, glancing down at it and then smiling. A second past, and with Nancy just staring at the book, silence filled with room.

Placing the book down on Dumbledore's desk, she sat down next to Newt. "It should take you to Brera, in Milan." She said, pushing the book towards Dumbledore.

Dumbledore looked at the book, then at Nancy. "I'll make sure to remember that every time I feel like a holiday." He said, then looked between the too. "You're enrolled now, Miss Scamander. Would you prefer to be sorted now or on September 1st?"

"September 1st, please." Nancy said, a small smile on her face. The two Scamanders got up to leave, and Newt left first, Nancy behind him.

The girl paused, looking back at the old man. "Mr Dumbledore, sir?" She said, drawing the attention of the named man, who seemed particularily interested in the book she turned into a portkey. 

"Yes, Miss Scamander?" Dumbledore replied, using his wand to direct the book back onto the shelf. 

"I want to say thank you, and that it's also rather nice of you to keep the first edition of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them that Newt sent you." Nancy then swallowed, tilting her head to the side. "But I don't understand why Newt would hide the message on the back cover."

Dumbledore stared at the girl, overcome with slight shock. The girl hadn't opened the book, not even at the blurb. Just stared at the cover for a second, somehow turning it into a portkey as well as revealing the message on the back page.

"Your grandfather will have had his reasons." Dumbledore calmly replied, although he had no idea of the message. "I'll see you in two days, Miss Scamander." 

And with that, Nancy exited his office, to join Newt on their walk just out of the Hogwart's ground, where they would apparate to London to find a hotel for the night, and spend the next day shopping for Nancy's school supplies.

. . .