Chapter 5

"That is impossible," Dr. Walsch's silky smooth voice swirled around me, muffled as if under layers of cotton. Imaginary layers that I wanted to tear off so I could see him in all his glory.

My eyes refused to open. Heat rolled through my body in waves, a thin sheet a sweat coating my skin. The scratchy texture of a hospital bed's sheets rubbed against my skin.

"Nothing is impossible with Ryan." Dreece sounded even farther away, though their voice was still just as sharp as ever. "He's a big reason why gender removal or switches are so effortless now."

"Either way, changing gender is hugely different than making a man grow a womb." The skepticism in my sexy doctor's voice hurt even through the numbness that smothered me. I wanted to wake up and argue that the science wasn't that different.

"Look I don't care if you believe it or not, but you're the only fucking OB/GYN we have on-staff right now so can just fucking get my friend an ultrasound?" Every word was becoming much more faint and muddled, my brain refusing to work.

The cold shocked me back to near consciousness, something glacial and goopy being spread over my lower stomach. Why the hell couldn't I wake up completely?

"What am I supposed to be looking for?" A soft voice brushed against my ears, sweet and femine but unfamiliar to me.

"I'll know it if I see it. Just remember though that you can't tell anyone if you do see something abnormal." Dr. Walsh's voice was skeptical, but even then the warmth of it intoxicated me.

Silence fell as I lay there, struggling to will my eyes open. I wanted to see it, I wanted to see if my serum had worked. That's what they were looking for after all wasn't it? It had to be.

The sharp inhalation of breath filled the room, breaking the deafening silence.

"Is that--"

"Remember you can't tell anyone Annie." Dr. Walsh cut off her question firmly the faint pressure moving around over my lower abdomen. "But yes, it would seem this young man has both sets of reproductive organs. Of course, that doesn't mean that one or the other is functional."

Both? I had both male and female organs? I hadn't wanted to dissect any of the rats in my experience so I didn't know if that was what I'd accomplished or not.

"So he's a hermaphrodite?" The pressure was removed, a rag wiping the cool gel away. If I could just open my eyes I'd be able to inform Annie that I most certainly am not, that up until a few hours ago I had been completely male.

"Umm... perhaps. I'll need to talk to the patient once the sedative wears off." That damn fog was starting to roll back in, muddling the world around me. All I wanted was to wake up completely.

Pain throbbed through my head, light turning my eyelids red. Every inch of my body ached, but especially my lower abdomen.

A groan worked it's way from my lips as I turned my head, trying to escape from what was certain to be a glaring light above me.

"Ry?" Dreece's voice was hesitant, whisper-soft as I turned toward them. Just getting one eye to open was a struggle, but eventually, I managed it. "Hey, sleepyhead."

"Ugh." The sound came from my mouth unbidden, but it did a wonder for explaining just how I felt. "What the hell just happened to me..."

"You had a seizure." Whiskey smooth words reached me from across the room making me tilt my head toward my feet. There stood doctor sexy in all his wonderful gorgeousness.

"Okay... that might explain the headache but... I feel like I got ran over by a bus." My throat ached as I spoke, the words dry and rough.

"Do you remember what you said to me right before the sedative kicked in Ry? About the serum?" Dreece's voice did nothing to hide their worry for me, one of their hands moving to brush an errant strand of hair behind my ear.