Chapter 41

Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Shopping.

Not exactly my favorite sport. I honestly didn't enjoy it at all, and that was why I never went to the mall alone. I barely ever went to the mall. Thank God for modernity and technology, where you could actually do anything you wanted from the comfort of your home, like I did.

Shopping isn't really hard at all, when you could afford a personal shopper that could go to stores on your behalf, and FaceTime you while you chose what you wanted. That was how I loved to shop, on my bed, with my phone or tab in my hands, point picking what I wanted but this time, this time was really different.

This time was different, because this wasn't exactly a shopping I could run from, or partake in from my bed. I wished I could but Oma would rather die than be apart from me, especially since she had actually pulled me all the way to the jewelry store, so she didn't have to choose an engagement ring on her own. I mean, what lady shops for an engagement ring, without her man standing beside her? It was going to look really weird if she did, and getting the ring was all she talked about the entire week.

Unlike Oma, I wasn't too psyched about the GBTS gala. I had never attended one in my life, and I couldn't possibly care about this one, but this one was different, this one wasn't like the rest. Dad wanted to announce my engagement with Oma officially, during the event. It was more like a two in one event. There was the fundraiser gala, and then there was our engagement party, so now you see why Oma is so hell bent on picking out the most perfect engagement ring.

I had never actually thought of giving her one, ever, and I knew just how much she had dreamt of that moment. The GBTS gala was giving her a chance to fulfill her dreams of getting an actual ring to mark our engagement. She spent the whole morning explaining what she wanted it to be like, but me, I've never really cared about anything, especially not this engagement. My eyes remained glued to my phone. Kora was online, and she had all of my attention.

"What you doing? 👀." She typed. I let out a tiny smile.

"Nothing exactly. I'm just at the mall, shopping. You want something?"

"Uh, not exactly...Do I want to know what you're shopping for?"

I froze. In as much as I hated lying to Kora, or anyone at all, I didn't know if it was okay to tell the girl I liked that I was ring shopping with the fiancée I didn't want to get married to.

"Nah." I told her. "You don't."

"Then I won't ask. "

"Where are you?"

"I'm at the bakery. Trying to pick up my Nanny's birthday cake. Her birthday is today."

"Wait- You have a nanny?"

"I wish I did. I used to, but not anymore. She doesn't really have anyone to celebrate her birthdays with, so I'm just going to be there for her, celebrate it with her."