Chapter 42

Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Barely three o' clock, and I was back to waiting again. My hands, folded calmly on the table, with my wrist facing me, so I could see my wrist watch easily, without having to raise my hands to my face whenever I wanted to just check the time. Not like I really had a choice. I had to wait, I wasn't going to just leave without doing what I had come for this time, without meeting her. This was the only chance I had, the only chance I had to see her, before I was back to my movements being restricted the moment Manny was back home. I was going to be patient for as long as it took. I had to.

I turned back to the tiny shopping bag on the table where I sat, a tiny smile appeared on my face. Come to think of it, the timing was just right. I just really hoped she was going to like the necklace, when I gave it to her.

"Sir?"

I raised my head to the lady in front of me, the smile on my face withering as I watched her smile back at me, the manager of the restaurant. The only one that had the power to tell the workers what to do. The only one that was supposed to help me secure a chance to talk to her just once, even though she just never did her job right. I was beginning to wonder if all the money I had spent for this was even worth it, it definitely was.

"Let me guess, she has refused to see me?"
It was the same old drill.

"She's really going to keep ignoring you. It doesn't look like she ever wants to meet you."

I let out a tired sigh.

"My advice to you is to give up, or find another way to meet her. I'm not supposed to do this, because we have a strict rule on the privacy and safety of our workers, but you don't look like someone that can hurt anyone."

She looked around like she was scared someone was going to hear the next thing she was going to say. Then she leaned closer to me. I pulled myself to her too, I wanted to listen to what she had to say. If there was another way I could get to see her, a better chance than this, I wanted to hear it.

"I can give you her address, and the time she closes from work, if you'd like." She whispered to me. "For a price of course." I raised my head to her. "Three times the normal payment."

Okay, now it was obvious this lady was trying to take advantage of me, but I couldn't help it, or look away from it. However, it didn't change the fact that I was worried about how she could give out her address so easily? If there was a chance I could get to talk to her privately at her house, or meet her on her way from work, it was going to work. I knew I had to take that chance, I had to take every chance I was given.

I exhaled, and then reached for my wallet. I could watch her stare into my wallet, and her jaw drop from the corner of my eyes.

"Wow." She told me. "How can a teenager like you possess all that money? Your parents must be really wealthy."