4. Never Have I Ever

The sun had set, casting a perfect glow in my bedroom. It was like a fire in the sky, warm but soothing. I often looked out the window, watching the sun disappear and change. Something about it calmed me, like a song that, no matter how many times I listened to it, would put me at ease.

While everyone napped, I unpacked and added my touch to the room. It wasn't much, but it was enough to make me feel comfortable. I put my mom's picture on the nightstand and spun around before falling on the bed. I sunk into the mattress, kicking my feet into the air as I squealed.

The room alone was bigger than the top floor of my house back in Ohio. Times were rough because it had always been my mom and me, and she worked so hard to help put me through college. I owed her my life.

The soft knock on the door stopped me from kicking as I sat up. I hurried to the end of the bed, seeing my best friend popped her head through the door as she opened it.

"I'm happy to see you've settled in," she gushed, taking a complete look around before crawling on the bed beside me. I laid back, the top of our heads touching as we looked at the white ceiling. "I hope my brothers don't annoy you to death, and you end up leaving me here. I've been the only girl since I was little." Sure, that's the case.

Still breathing heavily, I said, "Are you kidding? You invited me to keep my mind off Kevin, and I'm so grateful for that and you. I wouldn't leave if you forced me to. Besides, I've dealt with you for how long?" I joked as she kicked me and laughed afterward.

"I guess you have a point there," she muttered. "How are you holding up?"

"Part of me goes through random spurts of sadness, and then the other half doesn't want to give him the time of day. He obviously didn't love me like he said he did. I'm just tired of people running from me. Do I stink?" I laughed, easing the mood. Besides my family, Sam was the only person who stayed by my side. We weren't perfect and had our fights, but she never left.

Sam sat up and looked down at me. Her hair was all over her head. "Those are the people who shouldn't be in your life. It's a sign, and although it sucks ass, they're not here for a reason. You should thank the guy upstairs," Sam expressed, sending me a friendly wink.

"You're right," I agreed. "Thanks, Sammy."

She gave me a devilishly blank look and clenched her jaw. "Call me that again, and I'll break your fingers."

"So, Coleman gets special privileges? I think it's cute," I pleaded.

"Because I'd feel wrong telling him I'd break his fingers. He's old and has worked for my family since I was born."

I rolled my eyes. "Well, Sam?"

"Yeah," she answered. "That's better. I love improvement. It's good for your skin and other things." What the hell is she talking about?

"I've been due for a drink since yesterday. Don't make me beg," I said, pouting my plump lips. What was a vacation without drinking on the first night?

My best friend pushed herself off the bed and did a little dance. "You don't have to tell me twice. Come on," she shouted, waving her hand for me to hurry.

It was like a damn maze following a running Sam to a creepy ass above-ground wine cellar. Wooden racks held well over two hundred wines. To the left was a shelf designed for alcohol and lots of it. And expensive brands that I've never seen before. They never had to make a liquor store run. Jealous.

"So, either your parents are alcoholics or really love to prepare for a shortage of alcohol," I blurted, not thinking before I spoke. I knew she wouldn't take offense to me calling her parents alcoholics because they aren't on the best terms.