•22•

Micheal was drawing short at every turn.

He was a Lycan, a pure blood, and the second in command of a well established and respected pack.

Yet he was absolutely powerless against whatever trauma his mate was facing.

They had been doing better, Bambi was occasionally looking at him, and writing to him.

Until he was forced through the Alpha command to ask Bambi what the letter his Luna received in the restaurant meant.

It was a full blown investigation, and Lucien- someone he knew to never lash out recklessly- was in a full blown destructive rage that even blood wouldn't cool.
Maia had gotten a strange note directed at her, promptly had a panic attack and fainted.

No scent was left in the restaurant- all personnel who had entered and left were questioned through the Alpha command- and still nothing.

When Micheal questioned Bambi, she just sat frozen, and when Micheal tried to touch her- she screamed. As if he harmed her. As if he could ever do such a thing.

She and Maia were hiding something- it was beyond normal circumstances.

That was why Maia's grandmother was being escorted to their territory.
For any type of clue they could possibly get to understand what the hell was occurring.

Micheal paced the room, Bambi lay limp and nearly lifeless if not for her steady heart beat and gentle breathing, in the bed. Silent. Unmoving.

She wouldn't eat. Wouldn't do anything unless cry if Micheal touched her.
This wasn't normal. The mate bond alone should've been enough to make her comfortable, but she trembled and cried when she felt it.
Why?

Why wasn't he getting any answers? Peaceful coercion wasn't working, patient wasn't working, nothing was working. He was nearing the breaking point of his sanity- he hadn't left to run in days since the incident, hadn't left Bambi's side unless to make her eat and drink water, or shower at night.
She hadn't written a single thing to him, no clues, nothing.
He knew Bambi's condition wasn't medical, this was relayed by his Luna, it was because Bambi wouldn't speak.

Micheal ran a hand through his hair in frustration. His wolf was on edge, agitated, and his mate's scent was pushing him to fuck her until she does speak- if only to beg for more.
The close proximity was killing him, yet being away from her was killing him too.

Pack work had nearly completely fallen on Payten, and the soon to be father with a mate about to pop, was becoming increasingly violent as well. It wasn't good for pack dynamic, and soon the pack members would expect their Alpha and Beta to get their affairs in order.
Stealing a quick glance at a listless looking Bambi, Micheal was ready to snap.

"Bambi" Her eyes didn't even flicker towards him, as if he hadn't spoken at all.

Was this simply defiance? He knew that the woman in his bed was a bad start to their bond- but trying to end her life and becoming a limp doll once she heard some small phrase from a note Maia received- that wasn't ordinary. It screamed trauma.

She's arrived, we are meeting in my office

Micheal received the command from Lucien, and glanced again at Bambi.
He knew he couldn't leave her alone.
Not here at least, and some itching feeling in his senses screamed there was a threat.
His wolf was clawing at his control- wanting to equally claim Bambi, as well as hide her from the world for safety.

I'll be there soon

Micheal replied through the link, moving around his room to gather his things. Apparently some old woman was going to explain all this away? He's no idea, but if snapping an old hags neck meant keeping Bambi safe, he'd take no second to hesitate.