Chapter 11 - Lenny

You know what fucking sucks? Depending on someone else. Being so caught up in them that you let them have more control over you than they should. It gets to the point that everything they do affects you. You can't live your life as your own because it isn't just your life anymore. It's a life you share with someone else and it's all fun and games until they let you down and crush your spirit. After that, everything—everything—just fucking sucks. You can't decide if you're more angry at them or at yourself for losing yourself over them in the first place. Because you were doing absolutely fine until the moment you let yourself care.

It's not like me to care. I make it a point not to, having learned my lesson before. At least I thought I did. Then I let myself care again and got let down. Again. I just didn't expect it to be from Wolfe. I shouldn't be as surprised as I am because life taught me better than that.

"Be honest with me, Charlie," I level him with a serious look. "Is my anger justified or am I just being Lenny about it?"

"Lenny about it?" He raises a brow.

"You know, overreacting because of my trust issues and depressing trauma. Am I being Lenny about it?"

"No, kid," He smiles sympathetically. "He dropped off the face of the earth for two weeks now. He hasn't reached out to you once. Anyone in your position would be upset."

"But I did upset him first," I point out. "I made him do something he wasn't comfortable doing."

"He's a grown man, Lenny. You can't make him do anything. You can convince him, sure, but his choices are his own and it's wrong of him to punish you or whatever the hell he's doing."

I frown at his words. That's exactly what I wanted to hear, that Wolfe fucked up and not me, and yet I'm also feeling defensive of the big guy. I hate that he hurt me but I hate hearing others point it out. I don't want anyone to blame him even though he kind of deserves it. There's something seriously wrong with me, isn't there?

"We also didn't talk about if we'd see each other around when our appointments ended," I add. "Technically he has no reason to reach out to me in the first place. He was my client and now he's not. I shouldn't be upset, right?"

"The way I hear it, he was also your friend. Friends don't disappear without a word and leave someone hanging."

"But it's hard for him to make friends. Maybe he doesn't realize this is wrong."

"He's not a child, Len. He must know this is hurting you."

"You don't get it," I stress. "He has this kind of innocence. And I'm not exactly the most approachable person. Maybe I made him think I don't expect us to be friends outside of my work."

"So, this is your fault?" He looks at me expectantly.

"Of course not!" I smack his arm. "He left me hanging. He's a jack-ass."

Charlie looks ready to pull his hair out, gaping at me incredulously. "That's what I'm trying to say."

"Well, don't. I'm the only one allowed to call him names. I'll beat you up if you say anything."

He barks out a laugh, staring at me like he's never seen me before. "You really like this guy, huh?"

"Shut up and pour me another," I mutter and slide him my glass.

"Are you driving?"

"No, I caught an Uber."

"Fine, but I'm cutting you off after this." Charlie pours my next drink, skilfully avoiding giving me a full glass.