Chapter 40. What really happened.

Anthony's POV

"Carla, she....she's dying." Ariel manages to croak out whilst the tears running down her eyes as she hugs her brother for some comfort.

I see Daniel and Ariana stiffen visibly at her words as panic overtakes Daniel's usually blank face and Ariana looks hella shocked.

"How...? What happened?" Daniel speaks after a long moment of silence in a barely audible voice such that I had to strain my ears to listen what he's saying. Ariana gives a gentle squeeze to his hand which is clasped on hers.

"I dont know...she just... when Giovanni and Anthony bought her here...she's on the brink of death. Giovanni had found her lying near their packhouse unconscious and when he checked the pulse, it was slow so he had bought her here and Anthony accompanied him. None of us have any idea what had exactly happened." Ariel narrates the tale rather emotionally while I lean my back more against the wall as a strange unsettling feeling settles in my gut.

Why does this all seem so familiar?

My mind wanders back to the time when I had brought an unconcious Ginivieve from the fort--where Claire had killed her--only to be informed that she's dead. Although in this case, Carla isn't dead, yet.

The strangest thing is that for some honorific reason, I vaguely feel responsible for Carla's condition when I, myself, have no clue what exactly happened to the woman for her to be dying. I don't even know why I'm suddenly so bothered by the thought of Carla dying when it had been my initial plan to kill her in order to take revenge from Daniel which role had later been replaced by Ariana since he'd fallen in love with her.

But, to be honest, Carla is somewhat tolerable woman. She wasn't that bad either. There were moments when I had felt at ease around her which is rather strange considering Gini was the last person before her who I'd felt at ease and Carla wasn't or could never be Gini.

My reverie comes to an abrupt stop as the doctor finally exits the room after consulting on Carla.

Daniel is the first one to step forward to enquire the doctor about Carla's condition as he pulls Ariana along with himself, clutching onto her hand firmly as he walks along with her to stand right in front of the doctor.

"How's she?" There's an urgency and explainable worry in his voice a brother would only know.

I can tell how he's feeling right now. As a brother, I would have felt the same way if Anne were in Carla's place.

The doctor has an evident worried look on his face, "Princess Carla's situation is very critical. There are 0% chances of her surviving. Her organs have all melted down due to the wolvesbane and silver solution in her system. Her wolf has lost it's contact with her human form as well. I'm sorry but she won't make it out alive."

My heart sinks at the declaration. Daniel staggers on his footing trying to hold onto his tears while a tear slips down Ariana's eyes. Ariel is back to being the sobbing mess she was before Daniel and Ariana showed up as she hugs James who looks equally sad. Giovanni.... he looks completely lost as if he'd lost his will to live.

My heart clenched into a knot as I think about what I had found out just when we were bringing Carla here. She had been Gio's mate all along and I didn't even know. Only if I knew earlier....things might have been different. Gio is, by far, my only remaining true friend. Although I've been a jerk to him ever since Gini died, but I still cared for him.

I'd also cared for Carla some or the other way which confused me more than anything and the thought of her dying brings this fresh wave of pain I'd only felt when Gini died....