Icelandic

Country of Origin:Iceland
Use today:The Icelandic Horse is still treasured in its homeland today, and many people still use the horses for sheepherding, local transportation and competition.
Color: The breed comes in more than 100 colors and color combinations, including pinto.
Height:12 to 14 hands
Profile: The Icelandic Horse was most likely brought to Iceland by the Vikings in the 9th century. Although the breed shares characteristics with the Mongolian horse and the Lyngen or Nordland, little is actually known about its ancestry. Because of the remoteness of the area where the horses originated, the Icelandic Horse has remained a pure breed, unchanged for over 1,000 years. The horses were prized by inhabitants for their all-around ability, working for their owners and providing transportation. The Icelandic Horse is still treasured in its homeland today, and many people still use the horses for sheepherding, local transportation and competition.
Characteristics: The Icelandic horse is best known for its unusual gaits. In addition to trot and canter, there is also the tolt, which is a four-beat gait, similar to the rack, with high-stepping, beautiful movement. The tolt is a very smooth gait and can be as slow as the walk or as fast as the gallop. Some Icelandic Horses have a flying pace, which is a two-beat gait where both legs on the same side move together. The breed comes in more than 100 colors and color combinations, except spotted, and stands from 12 to 14 hands high.