Chapter 44

Kora

Kora

I dragged my feet as I walked lazily down the hallway. If you saw me, you'd have thought I was depressed. After everything I had seen and heard today, I sure knew I had to be. It was a lot to take in, and I didn't always do too well with secrets. At that point, I wished I had listened more to the voice in my head. I wish I had not heard all the things I had heard, and most of all, I wish I wasn't caught hearing them. I couldn't stop thinking about the look on his face when he saw me. Even amidst all that anger in his eyes, and harshness in the tone of his voice, he was scared, I could see it. A side of him I had never really noticed before. I opened the door to my room and walked in.

All the parts of my body were working independently now, without me having to tell them what to do. My brain was too busy with a whole lot of other memories to be bothered by them. I turned on the lights and threw my bag on the ground in a hurry.

"Mum!"

Jeremiah's voice kept echoing in my head, even as I kept pulling myself to the bed. Was it really true? Everything I heard, everything he said? Was Jeremiah really an illegitimate son of Benjamin Ozor? Had the Ozors really been deceiving everyone about their true identities? About his identity? Was that why he was barely ever home? Was that why he had lived most of his life in the states? Did they banish him?

All those questions, I needed answers to. Not that it was any of my business, but knowing what I did already made me a part of their mess. Plus, it was Jeremiah. He might not have known who I was yet, but I knew who he was, and I had gotten so close to him that I had already made him a part of my life unintentionally, so yes, it really bothered me. I wondered how he was doing. Seeing him the way I did, hearing those things made my heart feel for him. Watching Nanny turn her back on him like that...

I always wondered why Nanny never really talked about her past. Why she never got married, or had children. I guess that was it. Was she really Jeremiah's mum? Did she really abandon him with the Ozors for all those years? Did Jeremiah have a hard time living by himself all those years? Does he have a hard time living with them now?

I threw myself on my bed, not even bothering to take off my shoes.

Everyone had always thought the Ozor family were straight forward, without any drama at all. You should have seen articles about them. They seemed so happy together. So peaceful. How could so much be going on within their home? How did they have so much dirty laundries? I turned on my phone's screen. It was seven thirty. Thirty minutes past my date with Jeremiah. It looked like it was impossible for us to see today anyway, not after everything that had just happened. I was sure I was the last person on his mind at that moment. I still kept my eyes focused in my phone.

Do I text him?
Was it going to be awkward if I did? A part of me just wanted to talk to him, to know if he was okay. I was worried about him.