4. Losing and Accepting

When the initial shock came and went, Fumi took a walk in the hospital, accompanied by a friendly nurse.

He walked past many things. A small baked goods store, set up in the hospital for anyone that craved a warm tea. There was a convenience store too.

There were children playing football in the garden. A nurse chatted with a man in a wheelchair. There was a young couple, and the guy was on crutches.

It reminded him of his past life. Memories came back to him as he walked-- she had a brother who lived his life in the hospital. If he wasn't wrong, the brother died when he was thirteen from whatever illness he was down with.

That was another grim memory. Didn't she have any happy ones to share?

He walked past a waffle store, and paused.

No one could simply walk past a waffle store.

The heavenly aroma of butter in the air. The cream crackling and the sugar sizzling on the iron. The flood of honey that mixes in with the chewy, yet crunchy batter-- the subtle, salty creaminess of half-melted butter in the midst.

Who could resist?

Or so he thought.

He had barely even noticed the store there. It was a little pop up stall, with a few customers in the line.

(But there was no smell.)

"Fumi-kun, do you want one?" the nurse crouched down to ask him. "Tamako-san left me some money for you to use, so it's alright, go ahead if you want one."

She had urged him so kindly, Fumi almost felt compelled to buy one just because she said so.

But it was not enticing. It did not draw him in. He didn't feel like eating it.

"No, I'm okay."

(It wouldn't taste like anything anyways.)

He didn't want to feel the despair of not tasting it. He might end up hating waffles forever.

-

"Welcome home, Fumi!"

He was released from the hospital a month from the incident, and headed straight to Yukihira Diner for a celebratory dinner.

Almost the whole shopping district freed up time to make it there.

Fumi was shoved hastily inside the store, to be met with the colourful sight of poppers, streamers, and huge handmade signs.

It was all so homely, he couldn't help but smile.

"We missed you so much! This district just isn't the same without you!"

Someone hugged him a warm welcome, and he laughed. They then began to fight over who got the next hug and who got the third.