Chapterish 11

I swirl the slosh that's left in the bottom of my glass. I've reached the golden hour of my drinking fest. Time to make some safe but ultimately poor decisions.

I slip from the chair to stand again.

"You know, I lied last night." I smirk in a guilty kind of way.

"Lied? About what?" Brooks's interest is piqued.

"I had heard you were back." I grip his shoulder as I speak into his ear. The salty smell of his hair is incredible, alcoholic.

"Who told you? It was Trix wasn't it?" Brooks laughs.

"It may have been Trix. There may have been 17 text messages ...and maybe some calls." I roll my eyes.

"She would." He laughs. "To be honest, I knew you'd be home too. I was hoping you'd come to the bonfire."

"Yea? I know you like it when people sort of come." I smile.

Literally who am I?

He reaches around me to place his bottle on the high-top. His bicep brushes my bare shoulder. Fuck he is warm. Probably because he's so hot. Says the 18 year-old that's evidently still trapped inside me.

Jay mf Brooks. Bringing my womanhood to life since 2010.

He hangs his head so low his face is only inches from mine. Honestly our eyes are having their own entire conversation.

I extend my palm and rest it on his chest.

"I like this you."

That was definitely the 18 year-old. No respectable 26-year-old woman would say that. Ever.

He laughs at first, but repeats back to me.

"I like this you."

"Oh, why don't you two get a room?" Alex stands beside the table. He's just returned with the blonde from the bar.

"I second that." Trix giggles.

She and Travis have emerged from running with the bulls.  Bruises to follow.

"Who needs a room?" Brooks flashes a grin.

He lifts me up effortlessly placing me on the booth at the high top. The drink splashes onto my neck and down my dress.  Brooks takes it from my hands and places his own bottle on the table next to us. He reaches his arm and tucks the loose strands of hair behind my ear. Just at the nape of my neck he pulls lightly on my hair sending my back into a natural arch.

My body tightens. His bare arms are wrapped around me now and he uses them to lift my legs around his waist. I'm suddenly aware of the fact that I'm wearing a dress. I'm suddenly exalted by the fact that my jean shorts are one less article of clothing between us. Lastly, I remember the fact that five of our closest friends are watching.

"I think they want a show," Brooks mumbles into my neck. I feel him breathing in my hair.

"Gotta give the people what they want." I laugh.

His hands are still on my waist, but they stiffen now. My legs respond in turn. He's so close I can taste his scent on my lips. The salt. The sand. The sun. The embodiment of summer love. It's intoxicating. His smile is fucking stupid unreal. His lips are so close now that I feel his breath on mine.

In a single swift motion he slides one hand up my spine and uses the other to sneak under my dress and graze the underside of my thigh. I can't take much more waiting and he knows that. He's always been good at reading me.

"Kiss me." It sounds like an order. It is.

His lips find mine. He tastes just like I remember, better even. Like fine wine he's aged with time.

Trix and Nate egg us on. Travis cat-calls and Meg utters something like "About time!"

This is not the boy who kissed me in the movie theater when we were 15. This is not the boy who made out with me on the tracks when we were 17. This isn't even the boy who laid me after prom.

This is a fucking man.

And I want him. I need him.

He presses his whole body into mine. My legs squeeze harder around his waist as his hands tangle in my wavy hair. I wrap my arms around his muscled shoulders and slide them up into his messy hair. I can feel him responding to my lust.

"Maybe we do need that room." I breathe, pushing him back and coming up for air.

"Christ, Emmy. Who have you become?" Brooks says, burrowing into my neck.

"Same Emmy. Just a few years older." I laugh.

He laughs back, tilting his head to the ceiling.

"Come on." He pulls back, breaking us apart.