Chapterish 30

The November air is crisp, a nice contrast to the stifling heat of the yoga studio. I toss my sweatshirt over my head and lead Brooks down the street. The entire block is lined with organic shops, quirky vegetarian bistros, and coffee bars.

We sit at a small café with blue umbrellas down the street from Go Zen. Specialty is Vegan Greek. Brooks will hate it. Something I find amusing. Our table is across from a group of hipsters that thinks wearing beanies and vaping as a group is mad cool. No one has told them it's not.

"Falafel and ice coffee. Lunch of champions." Brooks says. The look on his face is priceless.

"I try." I take another sip from my straw and put an almost empty cup back on the table.

Brooks drinks his own hoity-toity chai tea latte coconut milk concoction. I recommended it.

"This is candy milk," he says, almost spitting it out.

"Good candy milk."

"I'll never know how you drink it like this." Brooks is shaking his head.

"So why are you here? How are you here?" I ask, cutting to the chase.

"You invited me." Brooks takes a bite of his falafel. "Honestly, this is trash. It's like I'm chewing a rubber burrito."

"I didn't invite you!" I say, finishing my coffee.

"You said 'OK' to my recommendation about visiting..." Brooks looks dumb.

"That's –I was saying 'OK' to maybe thinking about it." I say, exasperated. "I'd hardly call that inviting you."

"I'd call it inviting me," he laughs.

"Well, after how you acted on Halloween, I'm not sure how you could think the invitation still stood. Or did you forget?" I roll my eyes.

"I said sorry, Em." Brooks pauses. "Like 20 times."

"And I heard you. Like 20 times. Also heard the girl," I say, complete with a condescending fake smile.

"Emmy, I don't know what to say–" Brooks starts.

"Nothing." I hold up my hand to stop him from speaking. My mind is alive with images of Trevor on Halloween. The revenge bang really did help.

"Nothing? I want to explain," Brooks says, watching me.

"You don't have to," I say, shrugging. I play with my straw between my teeth. Brooks just shakes his head.

"I will try to behave while I'm here," Brooks laughs.

"Good. You know, it gets kind of hard. Keeping up with your on/off switch."

"Ha-ha," Brooks fake laughs. "Like your mood is any easier to read!"

"Mine may swing, but at least it's not gonna give you whiplash," I say, narrowing my eyes. Challenge me.

"Fine, fine. Do you want me to leave?" He smiles.

I bite my lip to keep from smiling back. Damn it.

"Just say the word and I'll leave." Brooks stretches back in his chair.

I stare at him. That is all. I finally roll my eyes.

Like I'd ever ask him to leave.

"Back to why you're here. No other Thanksgiving plans? Nothing else to do?" I fiddle with my sad empty coffee.

"I'd rather do you." Brooks leans in, licking his lips.

He kisses me so lightly on the lips that I can hardly feel his. His breath is soft and sweet. The kiss of death. "That OK with you?"