xxx . The Golden Fleece

╔═══════════════╗

chapter xxx.
( sea of monsters )
❝ the golden fleece! ❞

╚═══════════════╝

I WOKE UP TO A CURIOUS ONE-EYED CYCLOPS. I couldn't stop myself from screaming and scrambling backwards. Someone stopped me and wrapped their arms around my shoulders. "Hey, hey, hey, Claire! It's okay! It's okay, you're okay! It's Tyson!"

I recognised Percy's voice. "Tyson?" Everything hurt, and even my vision wasn't the best. I think I was seeing multiples.

"Hello?" waved the Cyclops that had scared me. My vision began to return, and I noticed some familiar features. His messy brown curls and his freckled nose, as well as his one, great big sea-green eye.

I didn't believe it at first. I stared at him for a few seconds, trying to think back. I don't remember Tyson coming back ... he died ... on the ship ... but he was back?

"You're back ...?" I breathed, frowning.

"He survived the blast," Percy grinned. "You were right, Claire! The fire didn't affect him! He saved us from Polyphemus! He did it!"

I couldn't think straight. Everything still hurt ... my back, my head—I had a killer headache—my arms ... I just wanted to sleep. My eyes fluttered close, but Percy shook me slightly. "Hey, hey, you gotta stay awake."

"I don't want to..." I muttered.

"Well, you don't have a choice, Claire, cause I won't let you."

I felt like crying. "Where's ..." suddenly, everything hit me. "Annabeth!" I jumped into a sitting position. Everyone else backed away, startled by my sudden movements. "Is she okay? Is Annabeth okay? She ... he ... Polyphemus ... he ..."

My voice trailed off when I saw her. Knelt next to Tyson, Annabeth looked drained. Her face was pale, her grey eyes dull, but she managed a smile. I noticed she wore a new coat—and then I realised it was the Fleece. I rushed forward out of Percy's grip and wrapped my arms around her. "I'm sorry!" I sobbed into her shoulder. "I'm sorry I make everything about myself. I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I promise I'll never make anything about myself ever again! I'll be the most selfless person there is!"

It was then I notice Annabeth wince and cry out and I gasp, "Oh! I'm so sorry! What's wrong? What's wrong, that's a stupid question... where does it hurt?"

"It's okay," Annabeth managed to chuckle. She looked tearful. "I'm sorry I said all those things Claire, you're not all of that. You're not selfish."

"Yeah, I am," I frown. "I completely ignored how you must've felt in all of this..."

She shook her head, "No you didn't. You tried to be there for me, and I pushed you away."