Chapter 16 (Sadie)

After breakfast, my dad and I decided to drive out to the lake and get an ice cream, just in case we weren't already overdosing on sugar. It was nice spending time with him, but suddenly I felt sorry for Connor. Once his parents were divorced, he wouldn't be able to have moments like this with his dad whenever he wanted to. The anger I'd felt towards him earlier dissipated, and now all I wanted to do was hug him and tell that everything would be okay.

My mother was in her craft room when we got home, doing scrap-booking or Pinterest, or whatever hobby she was into these days. She has more Pinterest boards than anyone I know and they're all filled with useless crap, like how to remove a stain from a mohair jumper or how to make bland, gluten-free vegan pizza.

"Did you two get enough sugar?" she asked giving us a disapproving eye.

My dad smiled at her, and I remembered what he'd said about them being meant for each other. "For now," he said, teasing her. "That all depends on what kind of 'food' you plan feeding us later," he added with air quotes and a wink—My dad was cool!

My mom shook her head in mock defeat, and smiled up at my dad. For the first time ever, I noticed how cute they were together. I wondered what my mom was like when she was younger. She must have been a much cooler version of her current self for my dad to have fallen so in love with her. I guess in her own strange, special way she was rather "interesting." I did wish she criticized me less though, or was less disapproving of everything I chose to do.

"Heyyyyaaaa!" McKenzie barked as she came up just behind me, making me jump. She has an uncanny ability to appear out of nowhere, and always at the worst times.

I turned and glared at her. She had a wicked smile plastered across her face—What was she up to?

"So I see you have a guy sleeping in your bed, Sadie." She shot my mother a concerned look, adding to the drama of this no doubt well thought out moment. And she got the exact reaction she was hoping for...

My mom flew out of her seat. "What?! Who? Oh God, Sadie, you're not having s.e.x are you?" She spelt the word out, even though everyone in the room could spell, and then rubbed her temples vigorously while looking at me, as if she was trying to stop her head from exploding.

My sister stepped forward looking pleased with herself. "Relax everyone. It's just Connor."

"Oh." My mother's shoulders relaxed and she let go of her temples. I was waiting for her to accuse me of having sex with Connor, but she didn't. "Well, that's okay then."

Wait! Was I that far gone in the friendzone that even my mother knew it? That the idea that Connor and I would have sex was just so unconceivable to her. Suddenly, I wanted her to think we were up there all night getting it on.

I shoved past McKenzie, walked upstairs and, sure enough, there he was sleeping on my bed holding my pillow. I walked in and closed the door behind me, careful not to make any noise. I didn't want to wake him—He looks so beautiful. Soft light was shining through the window onto his face. I sat in my chair watching him, and, for a moment, I was overcome with the desire to crawl into bed next to him and just fall asleep. I could almost feel his arms wrapped around me and....

FUUUCCCKKK! Stop!

I couldn't afford to keep having these kinds of thoughts. So I moved over to the bed and gave him a firm punch on the arm—the arm I wanted to hang onto while I kissed him.

"Wake up, dude!"

Connor stirred and slowly opened his eyes. They looked red, as if he'd been crying.