xvi. bloodstained hands and an iron will

SIXTEEN.
bloodstained hands and an iron will!
。・:*:・゚ 。・:*:・゚

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Carrying one of the Mandalorian's cases of blasters and rifles is harder than Zoya had expected it to be. She grunts, trying to heft it higher, but her arms won't bend; the weapons weigh it down. As she approaches the small group gathered by a swath of reeds, she overhears Mando ask the farmers if anyone knows how to shoot.

Only one person raises their hand: Omera.

Curiosity plucks at her ribs, but Zoya ignores it for the time being, lugging the case past him with a pointed grunt. Noticing her struggle, Mando takes a few quick steps to catch up with her, taking the handle from her gently.

"Don't hurt yourself," he says.

"What the hell do you have in there?" Zoya asks, ignoring him mostly because she doesn't know whether he's being sarcastic or actually concerned for her well-being—and she doesn't know which she'd prefer. "Fucking boulders?"

He actually laughs at that, sending a burst of warmth exploding in Zoya's chest. She has to fight to quell her smile, wondering when she became such a gentle, happy softie. "Ammunition. Rifles. They weigh a lot."

"You're telling me."

Beneath the helmet, he smirks as he sets the case down upon one of the makeshift tables constructed near the group. Some of the other villagers had helped bring over the other cases from the barn, and they lay them out around in the same area. He flips open the clasps, hyper-aware of Zoya approaching behind him, peering over his shoulder to look at all the weapons inside, and lifts the lid up, revealing three blasters and a few rifles.

"How many guns does one bounty hunter need?" Zoya mutters.

"Enough to bring a goddamned planet down," Mando replies, and she can't decide whether he's serious or not.

He begins to pull the rifles and shorter blasters out of the cases, passing them off to both Cara Dune and the villagers observing. One particularly heavy rifle he passes to Omera, who takes it confidently with no hesitation. Zoya observes the way she handles the weapon with pure ease, and she wonders where and how she'd gotten her experience.

Zoya begins to reach for one of the smaller blasters, not wanting to embarrass herself by attempting to shoot one of the heftier guns in front of all the villagers, but Mando's gloved fingers touch her wrist, halting her mid-movement.