TWO.

Catalina's eyes fluttered open. The bright sun reflected off the white snow from her window and forced her to squint in annoyance.

Ugh, Snow.

It came, It saw and It left her with an unwanted parting gift. And the more she thought about it, the angrier she became. How long would it take this time before she saw the glorious green of the wilderness outside once more? And why? Why, every year, did Snow do this? Why did It torment her so? Torturing her? Bullying her?! With flushed and poofy cheeks she raised her little fist in the air and glared out the window, growling, "Big, stupid bully!" Unfortunately, name calling would not sway Snow to return Its present. It never did. She knew there was nothing she could do about it but that didn't quell her irritation.

She rolled out of bed and approached the window. Her small hands tugged on the seal and she grunted as she tried opening it with all her little might. Her strength was not that of her father's but she managed, nonetheless, if only halfway. It was enough. She stuck her head out the window, pleasantly surprised by the quiet calmness of the landscape. Its beauty was unmatched as it not only covered the ground but the trees, weeds, and bushes as well. Glittering in the sunlight, it was tantalizingly inviting... Picturesque and serene, it still taunted her and she refused to let the scene before her steal her breath away.

"I hate you!" She yelled at the sky. A few birds flew from their perch on a branch but other than that, the forest ignored her disruption. She huffed as she pulled herself back inside. Lina made sure to slam the window down just in case Snow was in any way confused by her displeasure.

Feeling her mood start to improve, she raised her arms in the air and stretched her little frame. Walking out of her bedroom she lazily rubbed the sleep from her eyes. It was going to be a good day now. She could feel it. She would will it. Snow would soon be but a distant memory to only be dealt with this time next year so she wouldn't fret anymore. She wouldn't dwell on her anger and ruin her day. She only lived in the present as the past did nothing for her and the future was always unknown. She handled things as they came and that suited her just fine.

Passing her dad's room, she paused to listen carefully, a mischievous thought occurring to her. Light snores and a couple of undefined, sleepy mumbles confirmed he was still asleep. Lina had to contain her squeal as she knew he was a light sleeper. Her excitement tried relentlessly to get the best of her but the image in her head reminded her she needed to be quiet as a mouse if she was to pretend to be one. Laser-focused, she knew this was a rare chance she had to take advantage of. She was on a secret mission now and nothing could stop her but her woke father!

Tiptoeing down the stairs, bypassing the living room, she snuck quite stealthily through the kitchen and went straight towards the forbidden cabinet full of unhealthy snacks her father thought she knew nothing of. But she had once caught sight of those delectable powdered donuts and had been waiting for just the right moment to steal a few. He would never know, she was determined to cover her tracks.

Quickly and quietly she shoved three donut holes in her mouth and padded into the living room, her cheeks puffed out like a chipmunk. She would have to chew fast and swallow swiftly if she were not to get caught. But before she could climb onto the couch and before she could swallow her bounty, she caught a glimpse of a furry creature curled up on the opposite side of the room, in the love seat.

A wolf.

Being so young and hard-headed, she knew it wasn't wise to approach a sleeping animal, but she did anyway

She knew this was a dangerous game she shouldn't play, but she did anyway.

She also knew, without a doubt, that it did not belong inside their house! Daddy did not allow any creatures inside their cabin so he must not have been aware that one had snuck in. Not that she could blame the poor thing, Snow was a big meanie and not only to her, but all living beings surrounding her.